Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My original semi permanent lavvu tipi thingy

My original semi permanent lavvu tipi thingy

Hey. Thanks for all your kind comments. This one was in my backyard and I slept in it much of the summer. :-)

This picture was from early on before I added a rope bed. (Like in the olden days. Frame with rope net. I will see if I can dig out a photo.)

Dimensions - about 5 meters in diameter. The sleeping rugs in the picture are well over 2 meters long.

I had a small sleeping cubicle that was cordoned off by moving blankets on all sides with one blanket also draped down in front. This, apart from privacy, also provides a much smaller area that really needs to be warm overnight.

The fireplace is just a rock lined hole with an airchannel. Smoke evacuates out the top and we never had any smoke issues.

Very livable in. Also in the winter. During very hard rain directly downward you could get a bit of blast through from the smoke hole but really it was minimal. Charmingly the tree which forms the center of the lavvu actually kept most of the rain off anyway.

Still my fave shelter of all time for coziness and just somehow hospitality.

No stove at this point, though I later set up a large tentipi lavvu with a raised floor, bed, sleeping cubicle and a stove with chimney, but it was never as cozy as the original in that configuration.

I would tend to go with open fire and smoke hole.

The groundsheet was a PU liner, then 2 layers of moving blankets and then lots of furs.

For a semi permanent shelter I think you can't beat furs.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Looks fab :0) Furs all the way..

That looks really cool
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Lived in, bloody brilliant furs and blankets real wild west.

Super cozy and homely.

In the morning go in the house, have a shower, go to work.

Will see if I can maybe build one of these on my permission. Would be interesting, don't think they would let me use their shower but could rig a sort of solar thing for the evening though, early morning might be a bit on the chilly side.

Hell of a backyard
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

Yeah it was awesome.. Got an even better one now though...

This is the place we were living in when that Lavvu/Tipi was up. Haha - it even appears on the video...

It won't let me watch it ?