Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Homemade Fire Starters

Quote Originally Posted by MtB View Post

So I'm wondering...

Do you make your own fire starters, and if so, what are they, and how good are they?
    http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...light=biscuits

Thanks everyone for your responses, especially to Sapper4083 for the information.

Even before posting the idea, I was thinking that my recipie would create something that would burn but it probably wouldn't throw out the heat necessary to boil 350ml of water. Also, I figured there would be a lot of soot involved.

Anyway it was just an idea. I'll probably go ahead and try the candle wax, sawdust, and egg box version. The guy in the video seemed to get a good flame with it.

I am in the midst of drying bush trimmings and roots so that I have a readied bag of tinder kindling. I just need to make a pouch for it.

Chubbs' pepped up candlewax, woodshavings, brasso, and white spirit sounds interesting.

Ok try these guys, you've prob tried them already but take a cottonball and melt candle wax and soak the cottonball in the wax, let it soak right in the(they still fluff up and catch a spark) and whilst still wet mold into a shape you want (small to go in a tin/pouch) and trust me, these bad boys burn for about 10mins and are waterproof and VERY windproof! They burn hot as well and can boil water by them selfs in about 5ish mins. Cheap and VERY great tinder and its all from stuff you have in your house, i can't say enough for these great little fire starters!

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,

Regards
    David
    Ps. steer clear of these 'Cookbooks' links for incendiaries

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    A throw pouch ( the kind the millitary use to throw empty mags in) filled with birch bark is my weapon these days. It also has room for a dry stick of kindling or two as well.
    Birch bar has along burn time, and can be used as tinder to, even as a nest to blow fire into life from an ember. I hardly bother with artificial fire starters any more. But got some make up remover cotton pads, filled with vaseline and dipped in candle wax. Burn time: 10 minutes or so.