Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping bags infomation overload

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    If he was in a snow cave the temp in there would have been around zero celcius (32F), or even a degree or two warmer and wind chill would be none, as he would be out of the wind. That is the whole idea behind the snow cave as an emergency shelter. It's relatively warm compared to the the temps outside, and you get completely out of the wind.

Else the US army bag looks good. Wish I had found that one before I got my Isbjørn Jan mayen he he. But I got a very good sleeping bag now. Lars monsen used it in in his 3 year expedition crossing Canada from coast to coast :-)
    Ya, I know, I'm Canadian afterall, made snow caves when I was a kid. Hehe, but ya, it wasn't to test out his bag in that temp so much, he was demonstrating the snow cave and his MSS, but I think he did it more for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    Will you do a bit of a review on it when it arrives please, I like the look but have a problem with some mummy bags because of the size across the shoulders and my reluctance to feel too constrained. great price for the whole thing.
    No problem JB. We (The South East Group) are out this coming weekend, so naturally, I hope it arrives by then! I'll gladly do a bit of a review post this. I think it's going to be cold so should be a good environment for a test.
    I'm the same as you on my feelings on Mummy bags, as I'm a big lad with wide shoulders and like a fidget in the night. But I've resigned myself to the fact I'm going to have to get used to it, besides, I've got no foundation to dislike mummy bags as I've never slept in one ...I've just got an *idea* I'd not warm to them (excuse the pun).
    This bag is a perfect as I'll not be spending £200+ only find out I hate it

...I've got to say though, a Gortex bivibag + two modular bags and a 9 strap stuff sack for £60 delivered has got to be my all time star buy. I just hope I like it. eek!

Thanks again to Mike!
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post
    No problem JB. We (The South East Group) are out this coming weekend, so naturally, I hope it arrives by then! I'll gladly do a bit of a review post this. I think it's going to be cold so should be a good environment for a test.
    I'm the same as you on my feelings on Mummy bags, as I'm a big lad with wide shoulders and like a fidget in the night. But I've resigned myself to the fact I'm going to have to get used to it, besides, I've got no foundation to dislike mummy bags as I've never slept in one ...I've just got an *idea* I'd not warm to them (excuse the pun).
    This bag is a perfect as I'll not be spending £200+ only find out I hate it

...I've got to say though, a Gortex bivibag + two modular bags and a 9 strap stuff sack for £60 delivered has got to be my all time star buy. I just hope I like it. eek!

Thanks again to Mike!
    Looking forward to have a peek at the modular system next weekend

M@

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Looking forward to have a peek at the modular system next weekend

M@
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    Leave no trace

Most welcome F0RM, I'm looking forward to using mine out camping, but have to wait a couple months. I'm 6ft and around 170lbs, I find the black bag inside everything has less room than I prefer when sleeping but I want a lot of room overall, and I'm a side sleeper, so this works ok for me. Just the green bag inside bivy is roomier though, as the inner bulk is built up from the outside in with this system. BTW, did you know the black bag has double insulation at the feet?

Since I mentioned it, here's the video my buddy Justin did with his snow shelter and his full MSS Friday night, sounds like he roasted himself good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYioy6dJ7ns

New video by my buddy Justin, in the snow shelter, focusing on the MSS itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=WdM0RxVdy2M

Thanks Mike.

It came today. Chuffed!

First impression. Wow it's big! ...not as heavy as I thought though.
    Will do a review as soon as I've used it some.
    Paul

My YOUTUBE Channel
    Leave no trace

Excellent, glad you like it! BTW, the bivy and green bag together packs up about the size of a basketball and doesn't weight that much, maybe half the total weight.

I have had one of the usmcss for a few years, IMHO for hammocking in uk cold weather make sure you have something under it like a sleep mat,
    Cold butt syndrome and cool shoulders can be evident, I just use a car windscreen protector to reflect heat and it works well,
    Foot note... the weight didn't bother me but the size is massive just about 50 litres at a guess.

Having said all that, I love it, a good nights sleep is worth the effort of getting it there.......one more thing, back to basics, go to bed warm and well fed makes a big difference for me....but then I hate hunger..lol
    Campfires are best shared with friends.