Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the US gun law reforms.

Thoughts on the US gun law reforms.

I'd like your thoughts on the assult weapons/high capacity magazine bans that they are pushing in the US. I have very strong opinions on the issues, but i'd like to know what you blokes think.

Trapper
    The US was one of the few countries where people were quite free from government. Since 2001 that's been rapidly changed and gun law changes are part of that.
    They also don't tackle the real problems in school shootings which seem to be the treatment of mentally ill people and social alienation of teenage boys.

My thought's on it are that any thoughts I have are irrelevant to what is or is not going to happen to the laws in a foreign country of which I am not a citizen. Piers Morgan should pay heed.
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

I appriciate the citizens in the USA wanting to own a gun, but I struggle understand why they need to keep hundreds (if not nore) of rounds in their houses. Surely there must be a compromise so they can keep their guns but reduce the risk of mass murder by fully automatic weapons? As for what the compromise is, I don't know....

Im just glad we don't have the problem here, gun crime is bad enough as it is!

They're not allowed fully automatic weapons ......

When something is to hand, it gets used for both right and wrong, by the good and the bad. The only way to prevent the wrong, is for it not to be at hand. Anything less is a misguided effort.

For people to give up their arms, they need safety. For there to be safety, the guns must be removed. Catch 22.
    Then there's the enthusiasts, which would be another point of protocol to address, access and storage.
    In short, there will never be a resolution and any attempts to address the issue will be political willy waving.

...in my very humble opinion
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post
    When something is to hand, it gets used for both right and wrong, by the good and the bad. The only way to prevent the wrong, is for it not to be at hand. Anything less is a misguided effort.
    NOT a good argument for someone who likes knives and has one as an avatar , to put forward.

I agree with the above post by claverhouse but must add that I have several friends over there and have to make a few observations.

Firstly that the US constitution is designed to be, amongst other things, a defence mechanism against tyrannical government and 'domestic enemies' this was meant to operate despite the current regimes designs. The 2nd amendment is nothing to do with hunting, it was put in place to allow the people to protect themselves against the government if necessary and to be above federal interference.

There are so many unregistered items of this type in circulation that any legislature will not make any real difference, all people would need to do is not register them and no one would know. Banning this kit also pushes more 'good' equipment into the hands of the bad guys remember the situation of some of the southern states bordering mexico. Ten feet of chainlink separating them from the stomping grounds of highly militarised Mexican cartels with an annual turnover of $10bn US.

There are so many weapons in the US that the only way to prevent issues like those that have made the press recently is to have properly trained, armed security on campus.

That's if you believe Sandy Hook wasn't a 'false flag' op which is the rumour currently being circulated.

It strikes as funny the knee jerk reaction to idiots that has gone on over here over the years having no real relevance to the crimes committed or circumstances i.e. Hungerford = Ban assault rifles (most of Micheal Ryans victims were killed with a 9mm pistol) Dunblane = ban handguns (the police had been warned several times about the bloke but he was in the same lodge as the higher up officers) remove border control and allow all kinds of 'cultures' to flood in = ban knives (we always had a pocket or sheath knife as kids and never stuck it in anyone) ...... Just a few examples but it shows that in a desperate attempt to appease the antis in all situations government is too unwieldy to be effective at tackling much more local issues.

I in no way want to detract from the obviously real and present grief of people who have lost loved ones through these actions but it is stupid to impose blanket legislation and tar everyone with the same brush. Maybe a little but as a keen shot myself I often feel that the laws this side of the pond are a little too tight but then I meet Joe Public and think they are right. It's a very emotive subject I know and to be honest I think there will be a lot of upheaval in the US if they try to impose this legislation.

Apologies for the long rambling post but had to include some stuff said to me by friends over that side to put their point across.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Quote Originally Posted by claverhouse View Post
    They're not allowed fully automatic weapons ......
    Nor are they over here but if you know the right people and have incentive you can get hold of whatever you need. I was speaking to a Cheshire police officer a short while ago about this problem and he was telling me that they are aware that a fully operational AK47 can be bought in Liverpool for less than £300 as can uzi smg's and all kinds of other kit. Remember recently the buffoon with the hand grenades? They are far from legally available.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Since when have laws been obeyed by criminals? If they were I would'nt have a job!