Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little advice would be greatly appreciated. (Long trek)

Sapper, I appreciate the concern. I'll take it in steps.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
    Can anyone recommend a good all-round knife? Not a pocket knife, a fixed blade.

I'm still not really sure on whether to buy a good hammock or a good tent.. It seems to me a tent would be more the ideal choice for long journeys and such? As you're inevitably going to encounter some nasty weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Need a budget really.
    Like everything in this world, you can spend a little or a lot. £10 to £200+

IMHO the Mora's are the best beginner knife. £10
    http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/c...on-clipper.htm

My personal choice. £190 (no I don't own on)
    http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/t...od-10155-p.asp
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

I can recommend the Vango banshee 200, the new model, unlike my older model can be pitched fly sheet first, a real bonus if it's wet. Mine's quick and easy to erect, the newer model should be even quicker. Not the lightest but also not a heavyweight by any means.
    It's not the cough that carries you off,

It's the coffin they carry you off in!

Mora's are highly recommended, especially when starting off as they are a great blade and the price is excellent. At one stage I had over 100 blades but now I have 3 fixed blade knives all are handmade but that is just a personal preference. I also like Bark River Knives, Spyderco and Fallkniven make a good blade too.
    I'm still not really sure on whether to buy a good hammock or a good tent.. It seems to me a tent would be more the ideal choice for long journeys and such? As you're inevitably going to encounter some nasty weather.
    With a hammock you will need a tarp. A tarp will keep you dry as long as you guy it out properly. You most likely will encounter bad weather but the hammock will keep you up off the floor so you are dry, the tarp will cover you, you wake up to a great view and have no condensation worries. I choose to use a tarp/hammock setup for the weight and packing size of them combined.
    My Blog - The Outdoorist - http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/

Need a budget really.
    Hmmm.. nothing too expensive. Mid range stuff - So there's still a good bit of trust I can put in it.

TheOutdoorist, you think the hammock is safer than tent then? What if you're stuck in gale-force winds? It'd rip that tarp right up and out from between the trees wouldn't it? Or are these tarps made to endure that sort of beating? Then again I think the tent would get a good beating in such weather as well. Having a tent collapse and possibly drag you about is also not fun.

Hmm

Ok I'm going to get a Mora. They're dirt cheap anyways and if they're as good as everyone is saying then why not. I'm also getting an Opinel 8 folding knife.
    Last edited by Luke; 21-02-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post
    You can do what ever you want, just take it in small steps.
    Get the gear. Slowly acquire the knowledge. But most important, *get out there*. Don't be an arm chair outdoorist or YouTube bushcrafter.

Slow & safe. Know your limits and push them in safe steps.

I'm planning long trips this year, the main goal being to walk the length of the North Downs which is very near to where I live.

I, like you, knew very little this time last year, but getting out there, getting the knowledge, getting the kit, *USING* the kit, and learning in fantastic communities like this give you knowledge needed to take on the larger goals.

Don't take the physical requirement for granted!
    Go out and try a 10-15 mile hike on a well used trail for the day. You'll know where I'm coming from, the day after.
    a 2 dayer
    a 3 dayer
    etc etc

Small, manageable steps!

Don't be a name on Sappers SAR forms!
    Very well said .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    It's simple, if you have to ask for basic advice for such a trip then you are obviously not ready to undertake it..please study,practice and research more, go out for a few days at a time, then a week (at different times of the year and in different environments) and if you can manage all that then and only then start planning your adventure.

Thanks for the concern. Like I said, I'll take it step by step.

Still interested in peoples views on gear choices for long journey bushcraftery.

Hammock or tent?
    35L or 60L backpack??

I'll get rid of that first part of my post and make a kit checklist. I need to get the kit anyways for bushcrafting and wilderness survival to practice!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyreid1978 View Post
    I'll be honest with you straight from the off you are heading into danger, don't take this the wrong way I don't mean it to sound bad you will get yourself into trouble especially if you know as little as you say you know. It is a awesome idea and would be brilliant for someone to survive that way but unfortunately chances are you'll get lost or get caught out in a storm and be in bother soon. I'd keep it as a goal absolutely but start off with something doable first.

Danny
    Spot on!
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Hmmm.. nothing too expensive. Mid range stuff - So there's still a good bit of trust I can put in it.

TheOutdoorist, you think the hammock is safer than tent then? What if you're stuck in gale-force winds? It'd rip that tarp right up and out from between the trees wouldn't it? Or are these tarps made to endure that sort of beating? Then again I think the tent would get a good beating in such weather as well. Having a tent collapse and possibly drag you about is also not fun.

Hmm

Ok I'm going to get a Mora. They're dirt cheap anyways and if they're as good as everyone is saying then why not. I'm also getting an Opinel 8 folding knife.
    On a camp bed and in a bivi bag (army issue so nothing uber posh) I slept through a salto thunderstorm perfectly dry and comfy so I would say to make sure whatever kit you pick ... use it correctly.

Opinel are good knives and keep a very nice edge. I always carry one for a spare and also one in work.

As has been said; work up, take it in steps, be safe.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.