Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A little advice would be greatly appreciated. (Long trek)

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Did you wake up in the same place right? haha only kidding.

It's boiling down to hammock. I'm still on the edge though. I'm not bothered about comfortability that much. Practicality is my main focus.

My only problems with hammock are:
    Biggest problem is.. It's very exposed to the elements.. Whereas in a tent you're nice and closed off.
    In the off chance that you can't find any trees for whatever reason.. well you're a little screwed to say the least.

How does the hammock and tarp fair in rainy and windy conditions? Even storm conditions.

DD Travel hammock can be used on the ground too mate.

Use your trekking poles (Which I'd recommend getting for long walks) I have LEKI Thermolite, and are my personal choice.

(not my pic)
    Last edited by f0rm4t; 22-02-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

That's pretty nifty! Might just be the tipping point!

Is that the DD tarp?

Edit:
    Alright I've decided on the DD travel.

EDIT:
    Is there any point in using a Snugpak S15 sleeping bag if I'm going to be using a Hammock + Tarp + cocoon??

That seems like total overkill. There was a fault with my Snugpak s15 so I've got to contact them about a replacement. I might ask and see if they would be willing to send me a cheaper sleeping bag, and their Jungle hammock with it. Saves money that way.
    Last edited by Luke; 22-02-2013 at 04:09 PM.

The sleeping bag you choose will depend in what time of year your thinking of going....and will have a bearing on what size rucksack you take. The colder the weather, the bigger the bag (especially with man made) the bigger the rucksack you're gonna need to carry it.

Snugpak are good bags, I've got the Elite 5, which is rated down to -20, although I don't think I want to test it

Don't use the compression sack for your rucksack. To pack it away - hold the foot end and spin it around. Once the air is out of it, stuff it into you rucksack feet first. Having it in the compression sack makes it a solid block and takes up more space. If you ditch the sack, you can stuff kit in and around it your sleeping bag in your rucksack.

Also, get a bivvy bag it keep you dry and provide additional insulation - army surplus Gore-Tex off fleabay......and kKeep you sleeping bag inside the bivy when packing it away - sames time and effort.....

As everyone says, take small steps and build yorself up to you goal - Rome wasn't built in a day!!
    Last edited by sblog; 23-02-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Is that the DD tarp?
    That is the DD tarp.

I always use a tarp and then swap between hammock and bivy bag. I've only got wet once with my tarp due to poor pitching but after feeling a little rain i altered it and was dry all night, and that was very bad weather. Pack was wet when i realized it was covered bt the tarp but on a ground sheet that was not fully covered and the water pooled under my pack
    My Blog - The Outdoorist - http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/

For what its worth, I think the step by step approach is the best way to learn about not only the practical sides of wilderness camping but also to learn about your own limitations. I made the decision this year to aim for some wilderness solo camping but its a big deal and I have decided to practice what I can at home, lighting fires feathering, flint and steel practice, kit needs etc and I am going to go to local campsites who allow campfires and test out my kit ( especially sleeping kit, warmth etc) and then do day treks from the campsites. Only when I feel confident that I know my kit and have enough knowledge (but knowledge building is infinite) will I even consider venturing further afield. I am also walking 7 to 8 miles per day at weekends building up on my carry weight. ATM carrying 15 lb but building up to 26 lb as thats what I am aiming to carry for a lightweight 2-3 day spring summer trek. Also I am spending many hours learning useful info and tips from the members here. BTW I am a middle aged woman which also adds a few extra factors to the safety issues of solo camping but common sense has a part to play here too. Cheers

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    "Luke.... use the FORCE Luke"
    In this case , the "FORCE" is all the good information and help you can acquire here. I think what you propose is a do -able adventure ! However , it all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits !
    I think doing it in stages as suggested is key here. Also start when the season is good, ie SUMMER ! Your chance of success will be much better for sure ! There are a lot of proposed meets listed here , why not attend one and get yourself "sorted" as you guys say ? I bet you would have a great time !

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    VEV ,
    YOUR NOT MIDDLE AGED ! Your young with some EXPERIENCE
    NILO
    Last edited by nilo52; 23-03-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Thanks nilo for your uplifting comment.! Thanks to you have decided i wont use that depressing stupid term again and will take on yours instead as thats what i FEEL... young! Yeah!

Tramp
    Hey Vev, not met you before, its great to see people who are maturing in years doing what you are doing. You're not alone I myself am just coming up to 27 for the second time ( for those with not enough fingers I am 54). What I say to people is "Thats not grey hair, I've had a silver rinse" Heh Heh!!"
    I am actually planning some trips myself but like everyone is saying it will be in steps, as I'm not sure of my fitness level. My trips will be in less wild places than Dartmor, Lake District or Scotland for instance, I live in Kent but I am still testing both my fitness and capabilities before the longer trips it is the most sensible way to go about things weather you are young and fit or not so young and fit.
    Best of luck with your plans LUKE but do listen to what people are saying, but I'm sure you will be sensble enough to do so, as you are asking a lot of questions first, just take heed and enjoy yourself Atb my friend. Simon