Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little advice would be greatly appreciated. (Long trek)

Lightbulb A little advice would be greatly appreciated. (Long trek)

I'm thinking of going for a long trek. A long long trek. At some point. Once I'm confident enough.

The only problem is, I have no experience and next to no gear. But that is not so important or a permanent problem. I'll take it step by step till I can achieve my goal.

Would anyone be kind enough to give me a rundown on the gear you would use on such a trek and for general bushcraft and wilderness survival.

My Checklist: (This is now a checklist for things I am going to buy, feel free to scrutinise or suggest)

Shelter
    Hammock - DD Travel
    Tarp - ??

Cooking
    Pots - any old.
    Stove - Trangia Triangle style DIY. Or.. just the fire pit.

General Purpose
    Fallkniven DC4 - pocket whetstone.
    Compass - ??
    Map - Depends on location.

Tools
    Fire - Firesteel.
    The work knife - ??
    The delicate knife - ??
    The multitool - Leatherman of some sort.
    The axe - ??

Health and safety
    FAK - I'll put one together.

Tips and advice are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Luke; 22-02-2013 at 03:36 PM.

I'll be honest with you straight from the off you are heading into danger, don't take this the wrong way I don't mean it to sound bad you will get yourself into trouble especially if you know as little as you say you know. It is a awesome idea and would be brilliant for someone to survive that way but unfortunately chances are you'll get lost or get caught out in a storm and be in bother soon. I'd keep it as a goal absolutely but start off with something doable first.

Danny

Like Danny suggested, I'd keep that goal in mind and start with baby steps. If you can't read a map and navigate by compass, you'll need to get training if you're headed for a large area of little population like Dartmoor.

It'd help if people knew your budget. Many things can be made for a fraction of the cost of buying them. On the other hand, if you want ultra light kit, it can cost a small fortune. I'll let our resident poshcrafters (headed up by the ultimate poshcrafter, Martin) advise on those things.

My kit for walking and camping would probably be:
    Camp
    * Tarp and ground sheet
    * Four season sleeping bag

Cooking
    * Hobo stove / pop-can meths stove
    * Fuel for stove and means to light it
    * Billy can set for cooking in
    * Cutlery set, plate and mug

Navigation
    * OS Maps
    * Compass
    * Torch
    * GPS?

Essentials
    * First aid kit and some medicine (painkillers at least)
    * Small spade/trowl for toilet digging
    * Toilet paper
    * Toiletries bag
    * Water purification tablets? (not sure where you're going)
    * Hat, poncho
    * Couple of sets of clothes, or at least fresh jocks and socks

Entertainment
    * Carving knife and associated items (sandpaper)
    * Folding saw

And of course, a backpack big enough for all that and your spare clothes.

No doubt I've forgotten a few things, but it's a start.

Start small, baby steps will give you the confidence or make you realise that it's maybe not what you want after all, before you find yourself alone in the wilderness and in trouble.

Good luck to you, you are more adventurous than me.
    Last edited by Bernie; 20-02-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyreid1978 View Post
    I'll be honest with you straight from the off you are heading into danger, don't take this the wrong way I don't mean it to sound bad you will get yourself into trouble especially if you know as little as you say you know. It is a awesome idea and would be brilliant for someone to survive that way but unfortunately chances are you'll get lost or get caught out in a storm and be in bother soon. I'd keep it as a goal absolutely but start off with something doable first.

Danny
    Good advice - please take it.
    [

Is there any real beneficial difference between Hammock and tent?

As far as I can see: Hammock is slightly lighter, but not so much to make it a breaking point.
    Hammock is up and off the ground keeping you away from dampness or critters etc.
    But tent seemingly is much more draught proof and rugged. I think I'd rather be in a tent than a hammock in torrential ran and wind.

What size rucksack would you guys go with for a long trek? And what weight are we talking?

p.s
    don't worry Sapper, danny. I just needed to get the thoughts written down. I've got a lot of thinking to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    don't worry Sapper, danny. I just needed to get the thoughts written down. I've got a lot of thinking to do.
    I do worry though...... sometimes get to deal with the aftermath of poorly planned trips. For example the 3 people who set off to walk a famous long distance path with a tent and a tarp, a tin of sardines and one water bottle between them. Navigating by AA road map over some of the bleakest bog in the UK. They separated leaving one to continue......3 mountain rescue teams and 5 search and rescue dogs later he was found...luckily it was July....Theres more stories like this one, pull up a sandbag...... Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Pretty Poor Performance.
    [

What you plan is do able, but not at your current stage in my opinion.

I would not put your planned trip aside, just learn more first in preparation.
    Find out what shelter works for you, i like a tarp and hammock or bivy bag with sleeping bag. Then spend a night or two out using the kit.
    Practice your fire lighting with different materials in different weather conditions.
    Practice some outdoor cooking whether its on a stove or over a fire. Also boiling water will purify it after it has been filtered as long as there are no chemical pollutants. I recommend a milbank bag for filtration.

When you are confident you have the knowledge and kit to do your trip, use the kit and stay a few night in local woodlands you know well. Most of all enjoy the experience.

If I was planning to do what you plan to do here is the kit I would aim to take:
    Rucksack
    Tarp (Alpkit Rig 7)
    Sleeping bag
    Sleeping mat (currently multimat- upgrade planned)
    Bivy bag or Hammock (Alpkit Hunka XL or Tenth Wonder hammock)
    Cookpot (MSR Titan Kettle)
    500ml clip lock tub and pot cosy
    Titanium spork
    Titanium Evernew stove and trivet
    Meths
    Platypus water bottles
    Food/Tea/Coffee
    Windscreen
    Lighter
    Firesteel and tinder
    Whistle
    First aid kit
    Torch/Headtorch *spare batteries
    Small knife/neck knife
    Hygiene kit
    Map and compass

Clothing is essential and should be looked into well and used before the trip.

I would consider adding my UCO mini candle lantern

When walking long distances over time weight is crucial. Try to keep kit as light and compact as possible. Kit is an investment and can be found cheaply but try out all your kit as you do not want it failing when it is needed. It is a lot easier to find out your stove is damaged or similar in the back garden where it can be easily resolved.

When going out be sure to let people know where you are going and when you will be back. Enjoy the experience and pack a camera!

Please feel free to Private Message me, I am no expert but will help however possible
    My Blog - The Outdoorist - http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/

Without wishing to appear flippant, read this Forum for a year and you'll have a better idea what you should be doing.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

You can do what ever you want, just take it in small steps.
    Get the gear. Slowly acquire the knowledge. But most important, *get out there*. Don't be an arm chair outdoorist or YouTube bushcrafter.

Slow & safe. Know your limits and push them in safe steps.

I'm planning long trips this year, the main goal being to walk the length of the North Downs which is very near to where I live.

I, like you, knew very little this time last year, but getting out there, getting the knowledge, getting the kit, *USING* the kit, and learning in fantastic communities like this give you knowledge needed to take on the larger goals.

Don't take the physical requirement for granted!
    Go out and try a 10-15 mile hike on a well used trail for the day. You'll know where I'm coming from, the day after.
    a 2 dayer
    a 3 dayer
    etc etc

Small, manageable steps!

Don't be a name on Sappers SAR forms!
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post

Don't be a name on Sappers SAR forms!
    Or worse...the subject of an inquest
    [