Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Any advice on best knife for bushcraft/ camp task?

Hi Nilo,
    update on the mora right handed sheath annoyance. Well I tried the carrying sheath on left side but back to front and it bugged me big time, so I came up with an idea to turn right sheath into left sheath. Got some inner tube ( thin tyre ) and cut some 1cm bands. i pulled these bands (3 of them) up over the sheath and took them to the top of the sheath and left a small 4mm gap between them. Then got paracord and with the help of thin end of a teaspoon lifted the bands on the sheath and pushed the paracord through them. I then looped the paracord back through the bands for a second time and then having checked how bit the loop had to be for belt fit I cut the paracord and melted the two ends of together to form a loop. Finally I twisted the loop so that the joined melted bit of paracord was at back ( under the ruber strips). I then walked around for a bit with the sheath on my belt on my left side and when I was happy with the modification I then heated up an old 3 inch kitchen knife and cut ( melt?cut) the mora plastic belt clip off ( theres a very fine moulded line you can follow to cut so that the shape of the edge of the sheath matches on both sides). So there you go I have a left handed sheath! It rides about 3 cm higher than the old belt clip but it works for me. Anyway, thought I would share this with you and the forum in case it helps. Cheers..

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    Quote Originally Posted by vev View Post
    hi nilo,
    update on the mora right handed sheath annoyance. Well i tried the carrying sheath on left side but back to front and it bugged me big time, so i came up with an idea to turn right sheath into left sheath. Got some inner tube ( thin tyre ) and cut some 1cm bands. I pulled these bands (3 of them) up over the sheath and took them to the top of the sheath and left a small 4mm gap between them. Then got paracord and with the help of thin end of a teaspoon lifted the bands on the sheath and pushed the paracord through them. I then looped the paracord back through the bands for a second time and then having checked how bit the loop had to be for belt fit i cut the paracord and melted the two ends of together to form a loop. Finally i twisted the loop so that the joined melted bit of paracord was at back ( under the ruber strips). I then walked around for a bit with the sheath on my belt on my left side and when i was happy with the modification i then heated up an old 3 inch kitchen knife and cut ( melt?cut) the mora plastic belt clip off ( theres a very fine moulded line you can follow to cut so that the shape of the edge of the sheath matches on both sides). So there you go i have a left handed sheath! It rides about 3 cm higher than the old belt clip but it works for me. Anyway, thought i would share this with you and the forum in case it helps. Cheers..

i'm talking to a GENIUS !!!!!

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    I made a double sided paddle strop. It's got one side for the White compound and I have jewlers rouge on the other side. LOVE IT ! Now to strop every knife in the joint......

Anyone use a Syderco knife? Got a delica but not sure if it could stand up to much bushcraft ?
    “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
    ― John Muir