Thread: Swedish snow smock

Swedish snow smock

I bought a wind-proof Swedish snow smock in off white with the intention of dying and waterproofing.

So far I have managed the dying.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0011.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	7117
    next stage is to melt the beeswax and petroleum jelly and paint it on and then use a heat gun to melt it into the fibres. The finished result should be a waxed jacket.

Not my original idea, I have seen it done and was inspired to make one.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Didnt you post this somewhere else too ? I have done the same, dyed, proofed with fabsil though and i added knitted cuffs from some old army socks. Next on the list is to add chest pockets and a removable fur trim for the hood
    [

Is the Fabsil really waterproof ?
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    Is the Fabsil really waterproof ?
    No less waterproof than nickwax i use on my Paramo, it wouldnt stand a downpour though but then again most fabrics would give in at some point. Its a cracking jacket though i love it
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    No less waterproof than nickwax i use on my Paramo, it wouldnt stand a downpour though but then again most fabrics would give in at some point. Its a cracking jacket though i love it
    That'll do for me, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    That'll do for me, thanks.
    I also proof my canvas trailer tent with it which managed to survive 10 days without a single leak last august.............. in Wales - nuff said
    [

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Fabsil or Scotch Guard (Waterproof) around same price I've used both give great results
    Regards
    David

Don't laugh, but I had some Thompsons Waterseal left over from a job. On the tin it read you could waterproof fabric with it, well I had bought a parka coat half price from Matalan £15, nice and warm so thought I would waterproof it. I used one of them sqirty type bottles that have glass cleaner in them, hung the coat on the washing line and sqirted away. I used about three pints of this stuff, I just kept going till the coat and insulation was saturated with it and was dripping off. I put it in the garage to dry off, it took about a week, the coat was waterproof alright but you could smell me coming twenty yards away for weeks. I still use that coat to this day, it's been washed a few times but there is still a very faint aroma of "Thompsons".

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I've heard a rumour that diluted fee-bond does the jobs too.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

I have asked about using Thompsons Waterseal in the past because I heard about using it too.

Maybe if it was just painted on with a brush, it would have dried a lot quicker and also lost the smell sooner. I used Fabsil with a brush and it stank to high heaven also, but only for a day or two.