Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Messed Up Buying New Kit ?

Messed Up Buying New Kit ?

Ever been frustrated & angry with your self for not doing your home work correctly ? If i had only researched better ! If i had only waited longer ! You realise you`v just wasted money on an important piece of kit to know there was something much better for the same price or less ?
    Id like to share one that worked for me this time because i waited , the reason i did was found this is the way for me to get it right instead of getting it wrong the many times i did.
    when it was time for me to purchase my knife , i had no doubt in my mind it was a Mora i wanted as just love those sharp jaggy pointed edges that you know looks just right for the job, before you even see the reviews.

When i started inquiring which one , i was over whelmingly advised to get the carbin steel due to its ease of sharpening & how crazy sharp it gets , every person i asked seemed to favour & come up with the same answer. So imbeded that much i felt i wouldn`t go wrong , next the mora black came on the scene ( ideal i thought with its special coating to resist moisture which is the memisis up here in scotland ) , this was designed for scotland i thought as rust rust rust came to mind. nearly again got it wrong convinced i deffo had it right this time & was improving on my kit selection.
    How wrong again i was but only because i waited to research more i came good! i spoke to basically an expert bushcrafter on knifes when he gave me advice i seen the logic straight away i had nearly messed up but not a disaster though as its a good knife the mora black & i did to most extent get it correct but on this persons advice who loves his blades so to speak told me that the stainless steel doesnt rust , it stays sharper longer & it gets just as crazy sharp as the carbin. I saw a review on the black first time used with a fire stick & to my horror the coating came off ! So that was it i purchased the Mora Bushcraft Force & feel absolutley satisfied with it. Any takes on your disaster purchase for kit would love to hear all about it cheers. Geo

I got one sort of,recently bought a monocular(love my nature watching and it fits in my pocket so goes everywhere).like Geo I didn't do enough research to be honest,the field of veiw on the ones I got is terrible, Paul

Yes I would agree, it seems to be that as soon as you buy something you see a better/cheaper version somewhere else. Well done for waiting and getting it right.
    The only time I resisted an impulse buy it turned out I missed a real bargain.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Im a Yorkshireman, we are incapable of buying on impulse, just like a scotsman but with every last scrap of generosity beaten out of us
    [

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with a carbon steel knife, if it rusts its because you're not looking after if correctly! The stainless that mora uses is 12c27 and regardless of what other people say its a cracking knife steel, high corrosion resistance, ease of sharpening and a stable edge, the carbon is equally as good just needs a little more care and to be honest it helps you look after your knives and that's the right mental attitude to have with any cutting tool.
    ( can I ask who the expert was you spoke to?)
    Last edited by luresalive; 15-02-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    Nothing wrong with a carbon steel knife, if it rusts its because you're not looking after if correctly! The stainless that mora uses is 12c27 and regardless of what other people say its a cracking knife steel, high corrosion resistance, ease of sharpening and a stable edge, the carbon is equally as good just needs a little more care and to be honest it helps you look after your knives and that's the right mental attitude to have with any cutting tool.
    ( can I ask who the expert was you spoke to?)
    The above is cracking advice

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Im a Yorkshireman, we are incapable of buying on impulse, just like a scotsman but with every last scrap of generosity beaten out of us
    Would now be a bad time to ask for the loan of a Tenner then.

Quote Originally Posted by butchthedog View Post
    Would now be a bad time to ask for the loan of a Tenner then.
    Yes
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Ha! I must have some ancestors from Yorkshire!

Quote Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
    Ha! I must have some ancestors from Yorkshire!
    Maybe....I also have Norse blood too....maybe thats where I actually get a little generosity restored
    [