Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cotton wool fire balls

its more a case of 'as well as' and not 'instead of'
    do you take a knife with you or forage for flint when you need to cut something?

Ok fair enough, I just keep a couple of solid fuel blocks and a lighter in the bottom of my pack. Just incase......

ohh i was thinking you are robinson cruseo lol

Could do with being stranded on a desert island, need to lose a few pounds.......

Don't want to rain on your parade, but the WD40 probably contains a lot of volatiles which will eventually flash off/dry out which means in a case of any long time storage, you will end up with near enough the same thing as just spreading a blob of vaseline on your cotton balls in the first place!
    Of course if you intend to prepare them and use them short term, then they will definately be effective.

As i said they are kept in a snap-it bag so they are sealed in,the longest i have left the like this was about 2 months in my pack before i used them and they still worked just as well
    Even if they were to degrade to the same as vaseline then its still just as good as most peeps use and at worse its cotton wool.
    win win as far as i can tell

like the magic biscuits idea, going to have a try making them soon! also loving the beeswax idea as I have access to plenty of that through work One thing I do is keep the fine wood shavings from work when using a plane. I put them in a bucket with some paraffin and let them steep - they're great for getting the incinerator going!

I have just made some on Friday, as per Rune's "Fishy Folk's" idea and then coated in melted candle wax. Not tried one yet but they do look the business.

tried the pj and wax mix today 50/50 and it worked great.
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.