Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: axe or folding saw

axe or folding saw

Ive been looking and reading about axe's, cant make my mind up about them.

i'm wondering is an axe a little 'heavy duty' for bushcraft in general ? i cant really see the need for such a tool unless your cutting down trees.
    For shelter building,cutting wood for fuel and other such duties i find my folding saw quiet adequate and my knife for splitting wood.

so any insight on the advantage of carrying an axe would be helpful

I'd carry an axe over a saw any day of the week. An axe is a knife, can carve wood, can split logs, can be used as a hammer, can be used to butcher game, kill zombies.... and as you say, cut down trees. What can a saw do in comparison? Not a lot. An axe can do everything a saw can do and then some....

Knives aint for splitting wood either..

I use my axe more than my knife and saw combined.
    Last edited by HillBill; 05-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by HillBill View Post
    I'd carry an axe over a saw any day of the week. An axe is a knife, can carve wood, can split logs, can be used as a hammer, can be used to butcher game, kill zombies.... and as you say, cut down trees. What can a saw do in comparison? Not a lot. An axe can do everything a saw can do and then some....

seconded!
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Can comb your hair or beard with a saw...........

Hehe, I split wood with my small forest axe, but prefer batoning with one of my knives, much safer and less chance of spilling my beer (I can do it sitting down).

Thats just laziness

well if it means not spilling ya beer then i'm with canadianmike on that one

I have never needed a hammer (apart from wood splitting) and then i just use a piece of wood,i have two knives,one for the gnarly stuff and one kept sharp for the more delicate things. i can split logs with the saw and it goes through bone with no probs. i like the idea of an axe but am just trying to justify getting one

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I must say that although I like both I tend to use a saw more than an axe, it's less tiresome and unwieldy but an axe does have its place, it all depends what sort of environment you're in and for how long, to be honest if it was a matter or survival and I had to choose I'd probably go with the axe even though I'm more used to a saw, but I'd forego both if I was allowed my leuku, there is no cutting tool I use more often than a leuku!
    Last edited by luresalive; 05-02-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Make that 3
    [

And 4.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow

+ 5