Thread: Fascinating read about a family living in the woods for 40 years

Great story!

Thanks for posting

Joel
    Check out my leatherwork: http://snowleopardleathergoods.jimdo.com
    Thanks,

Joel

Banned
    That's an amazing story I'm off to the library to find out if there's a copy in the uk library system fingers crossed

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Film about a visit to see 70 year old Agafia, the last surviving family member who still lives out in the Taiga. (35 mins long) http://www.theactivetimes.com/hard-l...survival-takes

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    I bought a book on ebay once for £40. I read it and then sold it back on ebay for £45. I might try to do similar with this book. I really want to read their story..
    Have you tried the local Library? There is the National Library Lending Service as well. It usually costs about £6 to get in a special order
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Have you tried the local Library? There is the National Library Lending Service as well. It usually costs about £6 to get in a special order
    I haven't, but thanks for the heads-up :0)

Isle of Wight (and often Cornwall in my wee caravan there!)
    As a newbie - Just found this - amazing and really a beautiful story!
    I wonder if it was not famine that truly killed them - but starting to eat in our 'civilised' way that their bodies couldn't handle. To me it seems too much of coincidence that three of them died after discovery. So glad the other two refused to be rehabilitated. Not sure either how easily they actually lived wild - ( says one who only sees the romance of wild living - not the hardship! )
    Did you buy the book Jonny? I might look for it myself

Quote Originally Posted by Islandlady View Post
    As a newbie - Just found this - amazing and really a beautiful story!
    I wonder if it was not famine that truly killed them - but starting to eat in our 'civilised' way that their bodies couldn't handle. To me it seems too much of coincidence that three of them died after discovery. So glad the other two refused to be rehabilitated. Not sure either how easily they actually lived wild - ( says one who only sees the romance of wild living - not the hardship! )
    Did you buy the book Jonny? I might look for it myself
    I didn't buy the book as its too much money, but I know someone who did, so I might go a begging. I would go the library route, but I take ages to read a book. I still have not finished reading The Tiger, that someone on here recommended yonks ago..

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    This really was a fascinating read. Please not that as another Yorkshireman I was put off by £50 but checked too see if it was cheaper on kindle or whatever. Ouch - it's even more now around £80. No way... Such a shame I would love to read this book.
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

an interesting read to be sure; quite an insight into wild living as a lifestyle. I'm gonna have to hunt a much cheaper edition! Interesting read of the Amazon reviews, I always forget there are still places of huge wilderness in this ever decreasing world of ours!

In addition to highlighting the power of the human spirit to survive incredible hardship, this story also shows the power of knowledge. Having only the combined wisdom that the two adults had when they fled severely limited their options for coping with problems.