Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: navigation

In case you haven't seen it, this site has the "juicy" bits from the book (if you haven't read it). I particularly like the moon section.

Enjoy....

http://www.naturalnavigator.com/
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Great post, learned a lot from the comments. Thanks!
    Outdoor enthusiast into primitive, survivalist camping, lightweight tents, and camping hammocks

We are getting a little problem with navigation by map her in Norway.
    They have more or less stopped printing the declination on maps.
    There is an app wher eI can find this information, and that is nice as it changes with time.
    The onløy problem with that is, that our maps uses UTM grid...and up her in the north,
    the south-north lines of the grid, does not point to true north, and that is what you use to orient your compass.
    So when given a declination of 7 degrees east, the real declination can be 9 degrees east.
    That is not much of anb error, so people are told to just ignore it. The sollution is to stop and make a map reading more often.
    Or just find a point in the terrain that matches your direction of march and head for that, take a new reading there and continue...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

In the UK we call this Magnetic Variation. Your post Rune, got me thinking as to how many youngsters even know about it, with all of the telephone and hand held Sat-Navs available today. We were taught Grid-to-Mag-ADD, Mag-to-Grid-GET RID as a way of remembering when to add or subtract it .

I though the link below may be useful for anyone wondering what declination or magnetic variation is all about.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/res...ing-north.html
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

navigation by mobile phoen app is for when you are in your car and can constantly charge it...it sucks battery power like nothing else...
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    In the UK we call this Magnetic Variation. Your post Rune, got me thinking as to how many youngsters even know about it, with all of the telephone and hand held Sat-Navs available today. We were taught Grid-to-Mag-ADD, Mag-to-Grid-GET RID as a way of remembering when to add or subtract it .

I though the link below may be useful for anyone wondering what declination or magnetic variation is all about.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/res...ing-north.html
    It is important up her ein the North. In Finnmark it may be as much as a 15 degree difference :-)
    And you can get very, very lost up there.
    (Roald Amundsen)

We are fortunate in the UK, If I remember correctly Grid north is about 1deg 10mins off mag north where I live
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Where I am I just need to find a house with a TV sattelite dish...this far north they are all pointed south, hehe
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Where I am I just need to find a house with a TV sattelite dish...this far north they are all pointed south, hehe
    You just have to trust the installers accounted for declination.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Hobo
    I used to teach navigation on bushcraft courses to hiking groups etc. I would go over map and compass methods and then talk about a
    alternate ways to find the cardinal points including the watch technique mentioned earlier ie point the 12 at the sun and bisect the angle between the 12 and the hour hand to find north [southern hemisphere].

I'd conclude with asking to borrow some else's watch. Then I'd casually throw it over my shoulder [to a predetermined area that offered a soft landing] and explain to the onlookers as we searched for the watch that it had 'gone west'.

Care was always taken in the execution of this scheme so all watches were recovered undamaged and I consequently didn't end up with a disgruntled ex watch owner, a bill or a blackeye!!.
    Last edited by footsore1; 04-09-2017 at 07:35 PM.