Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: navigation

navigation

Ok guys i thought we could have a bit of fun and learn at the same time by having a situation that you find yourself in and here it is- your on a holiday abroad and have noticed what you think would be a nice little walk through some unfamilar woodland/landscape, you dont take anything with you as you know where the hotel is and its only a stroll after all...so there you are walking away and before you know it this unfamilar land is closing in and looking very diffrent and also time has gone by so fast you think you better turn and head back. thing is you have left the track and are now in the wild, you cant see any landmarks and your lost! Now you know your hotel is in a north east direction so now, how you gonna find your way back? Its midday and boiling hot, lets get as many ways of navigation and share or knowledge

Find some shade and place a stick in ground vertically the sun will cast a shadow. Mark the end of the shadow with a stone. Rest for a quarter of an hour in the shade and enjoy the holiday. then place another stone on the end of the shadow which will now have moved . Draw a line between the two and you have a definite fix knowing the sun's path.

I often wander off on holiday, especially when the wife is in the shops. ( after all it's a holiday and a break from my usual role of "paying and carrying")
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Northern Hemisphere

Take my watch and point the hour hand (the smaller one) directly at the sun. Imagine a line halfway between the hour hand and the number 12 and this will be pointing to the South. From this you can then find any direction.

Southern Hemisphere

The same as above but this results in finding North rather than South.

No problems if you only have a digital watch as you can imagine where the the numbers and hands will be or you could draw a clock on the floor to help you out.

Now obviously as its Midday then the sun is directly South anyway...
    Last edited by jus_young; 24-01-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Adding a bit

I have a digital watch with electronic compass is that cheating ?
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Some great methods here and share i guess if you are wearing a watch with a compass on it then your laughing ha ha

Turn and follow my tracks back to the path......
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

Yep could do SimonB what other ways can you think of?

Climb a tree, get my bearings, head that way with a length of string behind me. Keeping it in a straight line made sure I was going in the right direction without deviation.
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

Good one buddy! Great tip, so easy to stray off a bearing

Assuming you have these items with you...

Take a cup of water, drop a small piece of tissue / kitchen roll onto the surface and carefully drop a sewing needle onto the tissue.

The tissue will sink leaving the needle floating on the skin of the water, turning to face north.

At least that's how I remember doing it as a kid.

Go on ! you know you want to try it !

( can't remember if its the point of the needle that faces north, I think you can magnetize it if need be by brushing something magnetic along it to polarize it )