Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: worst bushcraft injury

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    The natural release of adrenaline into the bloodstream as part of the fight or flight response type of shock...... as opposed to the lack of circulating body fluid, hypoxic type of shock of course (sorry, medical geekery overload)
    Overload? Naw, I love the details .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Lol.......
    [

Quote Originally Posted by GwersyllaCnau View Post
    Very true, totally unrelated to bush craft I once fell off a skateboard and landed on the kerb, my arm was on the road and my hand was on the path my wrist made up the 4 or 5 inch rise of the kerb, I had broken it in 5 places, dislocated it and turned one small bone into powder. I got up and complained to my friends that a small graze on my hip was hurting, it was not until they told me to look at my wrist that I realised it was even hurting.
    Dang!
    Not related to buschcraft but similar thing happened to me a few years ago.
    It was the end of my junior year of high school, and I decided I would pedal to and from the campus on my bike. On such a day, as I was coming down a street on a fairly steep hill, I went to make a left turn to a connecting street. Well, I never noticed the incredible amount of sand on the right side of the road as I was making the turn. I wasn't going that fast, but apparently it didn't matter - as soon as I hit the sand, my wheel slipped and I skidded on the pavement. I knew I was hurt, but I couldn't feel much besides a tingling sensation on my left arm near the elbow. And then I saw it - a quarter-sized hole that exposed the end of my ulna. At first, I couldn't believe I was looking at my bone. I thought, "Why the heck is my bone grey? What the ****?". Then I realized that it was from all the sand on the side of the road. The blood was really starting to flow now, but nothing hurt. Knowing I was going to pass-out, I started yelling and swearing to get the adrenaline flowing - I also wanted people in the houses to hear me in case I blacked-out on the road. I limped to the nearest person's house, rang the doorbell (I was fading in and out of consciousness then), and a lady answered. She had a horrified look on her face as I pointed to the injured arm and weakly said, "You 'gotta help me. I just had a bike accident....". I must have fainted in front of her. Upon waking, I saw that I was placed on her lawn, and she was at my side with the same frightened expression - she had called for an ambulance. A neighbor had indeed heard my ruckus and was standing beside the lady.
    The ambulance came, and the EMTs were relieved that I was wearing my helmet and gloves. According to them, the helmet saved me from a concussion, the gloves saved my left thumb from being badly torn up, and my belt kept my abdomen from receiving a nasty scrape or two (the shirt I was wearing had quite a few holes in it from the accident). Just goes to show how a helmet and riding gloves can make all the difference.
    So, they hauled me away to the hospital, where they had to use some sort of water hose to flush away all the sand and grit. I must say, it felt 'freakin AWESOME to have the cool water flowing inside my arm . The wound required a few stitches, after which it was bandaged.
    For awhile after the accident, I would sometimes have an odd tingling feeling on that part of my arm. Apparently, some of the nerves were temporarily damaged.
    I still have the scar.
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 27-01-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: confounded grammatical errors

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    True, sometimes shock takes care of the pain.
    Rolling down a bank at speed, in the dark, being totally disorientated and dizzy almost certainly took my mind off of any pain. It's jogged my memory, people at work said "What happened to you?" "I hit a tree" I replied. "Oh, is your car alright?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Rolling down a bank at speed, in the dark, being totally disorientated and dizzy almost certainly took my mind off of any pain. It's jogged my memory, people at work said "What happened to you?" "I hit a tree" I replied. "Oh, is your car alright?"
    Eeek . Definitely not good if it jogged your memory. Had that happen to me many times, typically upon "awakening" from passing-out.

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

No great injury apart from cuts n stuff ( laplander saws are sharp!) but i did see a lad a few years ago accidentally stab himself in the thigh with a blade....the blood shot about 10 feet ( honestly!!), luckily someone called Frank who was with us, had the clarity of mind to use a paracord tourniquet and a stick and THEN ring 999, we carried him to the road, about 200 yards away and the ambulance took him to hospital......turned out the chap saved the guys life as you can bleed out in minutes when you cut that artery.

Splitting kindling one evening and a wee slip. 4hours in hospital and three stitches later. No major damage but can't straighten my finger properly now.

Not me, but my 9 year old daughter last year at a local haunt down here in Cornwall. Just finished dinner and had everything sorted. Just about to settle down when she asked if she could whittle a stick for marshmallows. Even though I have shown her the correct way to use a knife many times, she slipped with a Mora and went straight through three fingers near the knuckle, one right down to the bone.

She didn't have time to worry about it as I had grabbed her hand within a second. This was the only time I had ever forget my first aid kit but luckily a mate had his. Bandaged her up quickly and then spent 9 hours in the local hospital as there were only two doctors on duty in the whole place due to illness. She was seen four hours later but the nurse wasn't certain whether she needed micro surgery, so he called out a thoracic surgeon who was the only qualified person on site. Didn't need surgery, so five stitches later we were on our way home.

Didn't get much better driving home in the early hours as it was getting light. Poor bunny ended up under the wheels of the car and just missed a badger a couple of miles further up the road. Bought her a butchers glove now just in case.