Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Be careful Out There

LOL hes at secondary school(12)
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    LOL hes at secondary school(12)
    Thats a good age. He should have his Norwegian in the box and at a level where he'll be able to survive high school by the time he will be there then.
    As a kid living here, he will have the right to go to high school no matter what his grades are though (don't tell him that!).

Our oldest opted for an extra year in junior high school though, but he came here at age 14, and 2 years is not enough to learn the language at the level required.

Anyway, plenty of schools, and there is a nursing college in town, and a well renowned uni in Tromsø...oh, and University is also more or less free. It's living costs that kill the students, not fees....
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    In that case I suggest you learn our language prior to moving here. As you won't get any chance to speak it once you are in Norway. Everyone will automatically switch to English after two words from you.
    The only word in Norwegian we expect from English speakers is " Takk" and "Skål"....
    Thank you I understand and would be one of the first words to learn for sure, but the translaters I tried for Skål produced 'spoon', now I know this is on a bushcraft forum, but can't imagine spoon carving being so necessary for general use in Norway.

Thank you, or better still takk, for indulging my flight of fancy about moving to Norway, the truth is I'm extremely unlikely to get my wife to leave Yorkshire any time soon.

Al
    ...the silence only broken by the hooting of a very gifted bat!

Bloggage: http://campingonthewildside.blogspot.com

So you are telling me you shut down the whole country because of a little snow...how on earth did you manage to kick us out of the country in 1066?
    Didn't happen . Harold Godwinson wasn't supported by some of the northern Earls in Northumbria. But personally, I think the main reason why the Anglo-Saxons lost was because Harold was killed from an arrow through the eye, which dismayed his army and caused much disorder. The Anglo-Saxons also broke formation after the third feigned retreat from the Normans, which didn't help either...
    Until that point, no side was gaining much advantage.

Sorry for the elaboration - I can't help it . I love ancient history of the British Isles .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by Al21 View Post
    Thank you I understand and would be one of the first words to learn for sure, but the translaters I tried for Skål produced 'spoon', now I know this is on a bushcraft forum, but can't imagine spoon carving being so necessary for general use in Norway.

Thank you, or better still takk, for indulging my flight of fancy about moving to Norway, the truth is I'm extremely unlikely to get my wife to leave Yorkshire any time soon.

Al
    Skål - literally "bowl" = "cheers" - Å drikke en skål - to drink a bowl (of beer, mead etc) Å skåle = to toast :-)

No worries, I don't think anyone would move here just for the bushcraft, lol
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Didn't happen . Harold Godwinson wasn't supported by some of the northern Earls in Northumbria. But personally, I think the main reason why the Anglo-Saxons lost was because Harold was killed from an arrow through the eye, which dismayed his army and caused much disorder. The Anglo-Saxons also broke formation after the third feigned retreat from the Normans, which didn't help either...
    Until that point, no side was gaining much advantage.

Sorry for the elaboration - I can't help it . I love ancient history of the British Isles .
    I think perhaps you are mixing up the battles here...there was two great battles in 1066. One at Stamford Bridge where the Anglo Saxons repulsed the invasion of our Norse king Harald Sigurdsson. Harald Sigurdsson, also known as Harald Hard Ruler, was killed at Stamford bridge, where upon most of his army refused surrender and continued fighting almost until the last man. Of 300 ship leidang that left the shores of Norway, less than 24 ships returned...

Harold Godwinsson of England was killed at the battle of Hastings, a battle fought after repulsing the Norse attack, and after a forced march trough most of England, to fight the invading Normans...
    (Roald Amundsen)

I think perhaps you are mixing up the battles here...there was two great battles in 1066. One at Stamford Bridge where the Anglo Saxons repulsed the invasion of our Norse king Harald Sigurdsson. Harald Sigurdsson, also known as Harald Hard Ruler, was killed at Stamford bridge, where upon most of his army refused surrender and continued fighting almost until the last man. Of 300 ship leidang that left the shores of Norway, less than 24 ships returned...

Harold Godwinsson of England was killed at the battle of Hastings, a battle fought after repulsing the Norse attack, and after a forced march trough most of England, to fight the invading Normans...
    Oh - you were referring to Stamford Bridge . Well, the Normans did have some Nordic ancestry...
    Good thinking on Harold's part to use ambush tactics against Harald.
    One wonders how different things would be today if Godwinson was victorious on Senlac Hill...
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Skål - literally "bowl" = "cheers" - Å drikke en skål - to drink a bowl (of beer, mead etc) Å skåle = to toast :-)

No worries, I don't think anyone would move here just for the bushcraft, lol
    See, now you've done it, I'm now stuck with an image of Hagar the Horrible striding along chanting skol, skol, skol, skol!

Cheers,

Al
    ...the silence only broken by the hooting of a very gifted bat!

Bloggage: http://campingonthewildside.blogspot.com