Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Girl Alone - Alpine Winter Bushcraft with the Lean-to (No sleeping bag)

Yeah I was toasty!

Cozy Bushcraft all the way!

"Just say 'No' to uneccesary suffering..."

Of course, it is when you have stopped moving for several hours that the moments come.

The Reward!
    Last edited by susannewilliams; 16-01-2013 at 10:48 PM.

"You know the score.... :-)"

Lol, well I am inspired, if it does snow properly near me, I'll get the hammock and snugpak out and see how accurate the temp ratings are..... have been toying with the idea of using a parka / jacket (s) as an underblanket for the hammock too.

Quote Originally Posted by moontanboy View Post
    "You know the score.... :-)"

Lol, well I am inspired, if it does snow properly near me, I'll get the hammock and snugpak out and see how accurate the temp ratings are..... have been toying with the idea of using a parka / jacket (s) as an underblanket for the hammock too.
    I like the parka idea. I got a huge one that I never use.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by susannewilliams View Post
    I am thinking about that too. Though my current load with hammock, poncho, cape, jerven bag, food, etc fits into a 40l backpack. I could imagine carrying a larger pack, for the bulk.

I have pulled a pulk before but I find them kind of frustrating on the steeper ground.

Maybe I will get a superlight that I can just hang on the pack when the going gets too steep. It really is very nice on the flatter ground....
    In Norway we have Fjellpulken and they make a pulk to put kids in (from 6 months old), but they are ridiculously expensive, and even used ones cost hundreds of Euros even for a used one. Unless you can find one that was made in 1960....buit they are superb to pull. The wilderness group I was responsible for when I worked in a youth club, had a full sized cargo pulk from them, and it was no probplem pulling it up hill, as it glided very well, and the way it as made it did not side slip (much) either. But you need two to come down hill. One with a rope in the back to break...

I hope to find a used one this winter, as I do not plan to go much up-hill on skis...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fjellpulken_2390_jp_350670b-499x249.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	6598
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I like the parka idea. I got a huge one that I never use.
    Cool, I don't need my pack any heavier with an extra load of an underblanket, so why not wear the parka on the hike in / out and just rig up around the hammock when it's time to go to Bedfordshire (that's bed for non UK ppl). Will just have to get some shockcord and find a toggle from an old coat.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    In Norway we have Fjellpulken and they make a pulk to put kids in (from 6 months old), but they are ridiculously expensive, and even used ones cost hundreds of Euros even for a used one. Unless you can find one that was made in 1960....buit they are superb to pull. The wilderness group I was responsible for when I worked in a youth club, had a full sized cargo pulk from them, and it was no probplem pulling it up hill, as it glided very well, and the way it as made it did not side slip (much) either. But you need two to come down hill. One with a rope in the back to break...

I hope to find a used one this winter, as I do not plan to go much up-hill on skis...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fjellpulken_2390_jp_350670b-499x249.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	6598
    That pic looks like you could get the lid of a car roof-box and turn upside to make one??

Quote Originally Posted by moontanboy View Post
    Cool, I don't need my pack any heavier with an extra load of an underblanket, so why not wear the parka on the hike in / out and just rig up around the hammock when it's time to go to Bedfordshire (that's bed for non UK ppl). Will just have to get some shockcord and find a toggle from an old coat.
    Exactly

The parka I have would be too warm and I would sweat like a pig. If you saw my last video, that was in minus 10 celcius and all I was wearing on my upper body was a very thin long sleeved under shirt made in wool, directly under my softshell jacket, and even then it was a close call on me sweating.

So I would have to carry the parka anyway. So a pulk it is...
    (Roald Amundsen)

There is a little more to it than that. It need some form of sharpeish ridges under to prevent it from sliding sideways and track straight, or you would hjave hell going down-hill sideways on a slope.
    Also you need a stiff drag system. If you just pull it on a rope, it will hit you in the back all the time. But those can be purchased. And then you can buy a cheap sled and use that.

Her eis a video to give you more of an idea what a pulk is.

(Roald Amundsen)

Shug expalins pulks,and demonstrates his DIY pulk

(Roald Amundsen)