Thread: Finishing Touches After Whittling.

Finishing Touches After Whittling.

Hello Everbody

I am really into whittling at the moment and so far have made a simple spoon, a spork and I have nearly finished a serving spoon/ladel type thing. The inspiration for the spork came from forum member Matt who showed me his that he made when we met up at Woodlands Vally Farm. I understand now when he said he wouldn't make another one due to the work and sanding involved !!. There have been times when I have really wanted to get the multi tool out to save me loads of time, but I have persisted and done it the propper way by just using a knife and sandpaper, without an electrical tool in sight.

I would like to use varnish as I like how it sets thing off and I have a tin of Yacht Varnish in the shed !!. For some reason the varnish I have is quite thick. Can I thin it down with spirit to make it easier to apply and would it be worth giving my work a few coverings, sanding back inbetween coats. If so, what grade sanding paper should I be looking at using.

Thanks Neil

My personal opinion would be to keep varnish the heck away from your lovely spork. Varnish is just horrible and makes wood feel like plastic. Not to mention what you'll be chewing on and ingesting when you use it in hot water or with certain foods.

I'd recommend a nut or seed oil as the best food-safe finish you can find. It's easy to apply more when the wood starts drying out from washing it, and it never chips, flakes, or cracks.

Thanks Bernie, excellent advice mate.

I did think about the repercussions of using varnish before I posted but I didn't know what to use. Would you suggest something like groundnut oil.

Butchers Block oil is what I use on bowls and spoons mate .. Works real good and is food safe.

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Thanks Bernie, excellent advice mate.

I did think about the repercussions of using varnish before I posted but I didn't know what to use. Would you suggest something like groundnut oil.
    Sorry mate, I don't know of groundnut oil. I like Walnut or sesame seed oil personally. I used to be able to get a food safe oil called Organoil, but I think Axminster stopped importing it.

Ground nut ? Isnt that the same as peanuts ?
    [

Tribal Elder
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Ground nut oil is available in all supermarkets,would have thought that any "natural" oil you use would in time go off?
    What about pure bees wax? Paul

Thanks for the link Al, appreciated.

QUOTE=paulthefish2009;66733]What about pure bees wax? Paul[/QUOTE]

Never thought about beeswax Paul, It looks a good finish when its used. I will have a look around at prices.