Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best Budget Carbon-steel edged Bushcraft Knife?

i think i would ask myself what i really wanted to do with my knife!?
    i only use my knife for small cutting work, pot holders, small shaping work on thin twigs and branchs for pegs etc and food prep.

so for a cheap carbon edged knife an Opinal No8 would and does suffice, i have a heavier bespoke knife i have carried around for years and hardly used, if i need any heavy stuff doing its either a small hatchett or a folding saw.

everyone has their preferences, if you only want to carry one sharp item then go for an allrounder especially if you like to 'put them to the test' ;-)

i have a nice nessmuk style blade i got off a forum maker and handled it myself, thats very nice to handle and work with, a good shape for food prep.

as i said before, ask yourself what you want to do with it and then chose the tool to fit the job.

only my opinion and not meant to offend.

Adam.
    The Only Possible Guarantee Of The Future Is Responsible Behaviour In The Present

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    MORA companion heavy duty. While I haven't done so yet , I have read here that you can baton wood with it. The blade is THICK for a MORA , and has a near full tang. ( I just got one , can you tell he he)

Adam has got a good point.

Alone in the Wilderness
    I just got one of the black bushcraft knives by Mora. I haven't had it long enough to make up my mind but it seems like a good one. The blade is one eighth inch thick.

Hultafors hvk not that I have one!

Joel

Hobo
    A good quality knife is for life. I would reccomend buying/saving for a higher quality knife rather than a £10/£20 budget knife besides the mora you have is the best knife for that budget imo (i own the same knife).

Tramp
    Hultafors GK. I have a big hand and the longer handle fits it well. Someone mentioned condor, they have gotten much better but still are spotty as far as QC. I sent back two bushlores until getting an acceptable one. So on one hand my opinion of them is somewhat jaded but on the other hand, I beat the heck out my bushlore and it holds up well. But I don't know if I'd want to got through sending two back before getting a good one, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the kephart.

Quote Originally Posted by admo919 View Post
    i think i would ask myself what i really wanted to do with my knife!?
    i only use my knife for small cutting work, pot holders, small shaping work on thin twigs and branchs for pegs etc and food prep.

so for a cheap carbon edged knife an Opinal No8 would and does suffice, i have a heavier bespoke knife i have carried around for years and hardly used, if i need any heavy stuff doing its either a small hatchett or a folding saw.

everyone has their preferences, if you only want to carry one sharp item then go for an allrounder especially if you like to 'put them to the test' ;-)

i have a nice nessmuk style blade i got off a forum maker and handled it myself, thats very nice to handle and work with, a good shape for food prep.

as i said before, ask yourself what you want to do with it and then chose the tool to fit the job.

only my opinion and not meant to offend.

Adam.
    Agreed Adam. My usage patterns are similar to your own. I have a number 8 opinel for day to day stuff and a Mora too - its not used much tho. For what i do they are fine tho im sure the regular campers use stuff that will stand up to more abuse - batonning and the like.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Get yourself a blank knife blade for 30-40 pound from one of the makers. It will be a quality tool. Put your own handle on it. Now you got a quality tool that has sentimental value, and at a great price

Alone in the Wilderness
    Just beat my, Condor Bushlore with micarta handles, through 22" red oak split, but still wet(green) wood. I'm amazed. It held up fine, even through knots. I would have never done this with more expensive knives, Condor has made a good knife as far as mine.

A good knife depends on what you mean by good. There are a lot of considerations, what do you want it for, how large do you need, what will be your main usages whittling/carving, making medium to large sized items, do you carry an axe or a saw or will the knife be expected to cover these areas?