Thread: New axe

New axe

Hi all

I got a new axe from my father-in-law this year. We have a budget cap, so a decent axe was out of the question. Anyway, I got this Toolzone axe and had to put an edge on it. The thing that struck me the most was that it rung like a bell when on the grinder, and now that I have an edge on it, it rings when I pull my finger across the cutting edge.

Is that a sign of good steel or what makes some steel ring when other metals don't ring when struck?

Some photos of how it arrived:

I drew a line back from the edge as a reference to grind back to:

A little time on the grinder, then a while with a file, followed by sanding finally made it look like an axe:

But I still wonder about the ringing sound. I guess it'll double as a wind chime if I hang it up somewhere.

I dont now about the ring Bernie,but a good job on the edge

It's got a nice edge now.
    BJ
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

a ring normally means it's quite hard.best thing to do is go and give it a work out mate. paul

Now that's an edge!
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Now that's an edge!
    Why thank you. I could hardly believe it when I took the "sheath" off the edge and found something so blunt I would have been unable to do anything but crush wood with it. I measured the edge "grind" at just over 100 degrees.

That edge is still quite thick, it'll bind in the cut, and won't cut too deep. It will split well though. I'd suggest taking the cheeks down more to the edge doesn't get as thick so soon after the edge. You will find its a much more effective cutter with that done.

You've done a grand job so far though

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Why thank you. I could hardly believe it when I took the "sheath" off the edge and found something so blunt I would have been unable to do anything but crush wood with it. I measured the edge "grind" at just over 100 degrees.
    Ye Gods!
    Well, thank the Stars that grinders exist . Looks like the axe can now slice paper into ribbons .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin