Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Smoking food

Ok Ok Ok ,,,,, OUT YOU WANT >>>> IN ER OUT OVER 2 U

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    I bought my Janie a smoker for Christmas. Its all galvanised, including the bit that gets hot.. Not good, its going back.

I started by trying to use a one of them rubbish bins you can burn stuff in it got shelved after a bit LOL
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Jonny, I am going to try your wife's Coronation Chicken, like the sound of that. Oh and you are doing a sterling job with the Discovery.
    I am not sure but is galvanised safe to use as a smoker, I do know it is dangerous to weld "fumes" are not kind to us mere mortals.

Dave

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by butchthedog View Post
    Jonny, I am going to try your wife's Coronation Chicken, like the sound of that. Oh and you are doing a sterling job with the Discovery.
    I am not sure but is galvanised safe to use as a smoker, I do know it is dangerous to weld "fumes" are not kind to us mere mortals.

Dave
    Janie is not my wife Dave, n its Coronation egg, but its very nice. I have some in the fridge n its still my fav sani filler.
    Thanks about the Disco :0) Always an ongoing job..

Anythink Galvanised / zinc plated in not good to heat. You are right, the fumes are not good. The smoker I bought is all galvanised, even the bit where the flame goes under, so the fumes will go straight into the food. I am sending it back.

Hi Jonny,
    sorry its so easy to make assumptions. I am a master at putting my foot in it, its an old age thing and it is called confused.com LOL
    I new it was coronation something, damn age again (am I getting the sympathy vote yet) Ha Ha
    The old landrover's are a constant labour of love for people with heart's like lions but so much worth it. Driven loads of them but never owned one myself.
    Strange to think that any manufacturer would make a smoker from galvanised in the first place.

Dave

I avoid galv where possible these days - spent an afternoon welding a friends boat trailer a few years ago without grinding back the zinc (only softies do that, right?) and I was as bad as a dog for over a week. Judging by other things I've read and heard I was lucky at that - I'm also on a blacksmithing forum and one of the members there died from zinc fume inhalation from burning off galv. Not sure if the heat from a smoking fire would be enough to release the fumes into the food but it's a chance I wouldn't be happy taking

That said, I'm very keen to build a smoker too - was thinking of making a cold smoker from plywood sheets which could be assembled when needed and stored away flat when not. Have seen a couple of ways to make the smoke, including using an electric hotplate or a steel plate with a trangia type burner underneath. Doesn't need to be a big heat source to generate the smoke in cold smoking, from what I understand. I have a Cobb cooker which can be used but this only hot smokes (still tasty!)