Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Mods online ?

Any Mods online ?

Spam attack imminent

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Thanks Rich

User is now banned and spam removed. Thanks for the prompt notification.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Thanks Steve, taken care of.

Matt.
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

I see another one on:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...=4313#post4313

I found this preventer code but don't know if you're using the same forum shell (looks like it):

http://forum.ahosting.net/how-preven...ttack-201.html

Steve

...and this is the vBulletin spam control:

Spam Management
    Settings > Options > Spam Management

Anti-Spam Service
    Controls the service that is used for scanning supported data. The corresponding API key for the service has to be entered. The current options are Akismet and Typepad Anti-spam.

vBulletin Anti-Spam Key
    Enter a vBulletin Anti-Spam service key to enable scanning of user data where supported. You obtain your key from the service selected in the option above. Entering a key, enables this functionality.

Spam Scanning Post Threshold
    This setting controls how many of a user's posts will be scanned by the Anti-Spam Service. Once a user's post count exceeds this threshold, his or her posts will not be scanned for spam content. To always scan posts set this value to 0.

Anti-Spam Data Storage Length (Days)
    Whenever a post is made, extra anti-spam data is stored. This allows details about false positives and false negatives to be submitted to the chosen anti-spam system to improve it.

This value controls the length of time (in days) for which this data is stored.

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Steve. From what I could see, the spammers were actual people. Not too sure how the anti-spam things work but I can't see how they can pick out real people who are out to attack us compared to other real people who have good intentions. I expect Ashley will know though.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Tribal Elder
    props to this spammer...made me chuckle http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...=4421#post4421

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    props to this spammer...made me chuckle http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...=4421#post4421
    Cheers Coma, dealt with.

Martin

You get 2 types of spam, automated scripts and people. Its very hard to stop poeple sapm as they can answer all the questions I.e. capatchs. As for the automated ones its just like all otehr parts of IT security, you implement an effective method to stop it, they get smarter and get round you method. You get a bet method. rinse and repeat. You can never really stop spam but you can try to manage it.
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter