Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sigg bottle meths stoves.

Peasant

Sigg bottle meths stoves.

I attempted the other day to make my first pop can stove. Bit of a disaster as the can split when i was pushing them together. I have seen people use Sigg type bottles to make meths stoves and fancy giving one a go. I have a bottle and am going to take it into work and cut it down on the mitre saw as it has an aluminum cutting blade fitted far easier than using a hacksaw. What size is best for the holes/jets. Smallest drill bit i have is 1.5mm. Is that ok. I will try again with the pop cans but think the bottle type will be a more robust stove.

I have just spent the last hour+ watching youtube vids on pop can stoves as its something that I am going to get my Scouts making for a little challenge. Most folks use a drawing pin or 'thumb tack' to make the jet holes so they are probably no more than about 1mm max if that.
    Last edited by jus_young; 11-12-2012 at 10:14 PM.

I have made a couple of these, just picked up the ones for £1 in pound land funny enough.
    Drilled the holes 0.5mm, but you can go larger but less holes. Great little stoves, got loads of guys at work all playing at making them..
    Good luck, and go for the coke cans again and just crimp the edge of one and it will help it start to fit..

Agree with Realearner here.

Crimp it slightly and when you push them together, take your time, gently, gently, all the way around.

I did once make one out of an empty gas can, the long ones that you put in the single burners, see below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-BUTANE-C...item53eba141a9

Really heavy duty and they work a treat.

Just been thinking and I have made one from the bottoms of two fabreeze air freshener cans. Small and quite hard to press together but I enjoyed the challenge, and very short burn time as I made it to small.

empty deoderant cans are not bad but can be a bit wobbly and unstable when in use with a big pot
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Oh would never use on a big pot, it was just to see the possibility of making one as small as I could really to make it for a quick light brew kit. If I was going for a big pot would prefer open fire or fire pit.

For really small meths burners try use one of those Vaseline tinlets.
    Fill it with loft insulation and then use a wire sink strainer to hold the insulation in place.
    In truth, they don't hold much, but will get a Crusader mug hot enough for a hot (if not actually boiling) brew. They may struggle in cold weather, mind you.

You can see the one I made here:

Last edited by Humakt; 12-12-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

I've made about a dozen in the last few days. I'm just trying to "perfect" my efforts, experimenting with hole sizes and numbers, rifts or solid chamber, can size etc.

There's so many variables that affect the burns and two "identical" stoves are never "exactly" the same????
    It's not the cough that carries you off,

It's the coffin they carry you off in!

It's good fun isn't it...!

I've built dozens of different ones over the last 18 months - it does become addictive, so be warned :-)

I found that 0.5mm to 1mm holes x 12 holes around a coke can or sigg bottle (Poundland ones are perfect for this) works well but there are many holes size x number of hole combinations.

You'll find loads of threads on this forum, just use the search box for meths stoves, alcohol stoves etc...

or in this forum group Bushcraft Kit - Gear, Gadgets & Tools
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!