Thread: Adding a tarp to a tent setup

Trapper

Adding a tarp to a tent setup

Hi guys. I use a Gelert Solo 1 man tent when backpacking, and while its been a good tent for me, I've found it a bit breezy and chilly, and lacking in storage space/cooking area.

Given how successful you guys seem to find hammocks and tarps, I'm wondering if theres a simple way I can rig a tarp over the tent, to provide the extra shelter that the tent needs. Is this feasible, and if so, what tarpos, and paracord etc do people suggest?

I personally quite like the look of the Alpkit Rig 7 tarp, and i've not had a bad experience with the mat I've bought from them, but I know the Rig 7 and Alpkit have a mixed review from some of you.

I have the Alpkit Rig 7 Tarp and think its great, packs so small and very light and looks better made than any tarp I've had before.

For using a tarp with a tent i would just set up the tarp in a simple A frame in front of the tent so leave a dry space outside

All the best, Ben.
    My Blog - The Outdoorist - http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/

I also have a Gelert Solo but ended up getting a Wild Country Zephyros 1 instead as it has storage space and can also can be put up all in one so saves on inner getting wet if its raining. I managed to get mine for £99 from ebay when they was on discount. Its made by Terra Nova and is cheaper alternative to the much liked Laser. Have a look you may find a bargain.

Trapper
    I've seen the Zephyros suggested a few times, and on paper it looks to be a lot better than the solo. I think when the solo outlives its usefulness, i'll try and replace it with the zephyros, but given my solo is only 18 months old, I'm hoping that won't be too soon.

I've opted for a decathlon tarp, cheap enough not to blow my budget if it doesn't work, and looks simple enough for someone like me to use.