Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Favourite Wild Foods

Just been out pocketing hazelnuts before the squirrels beat us to them....or the farmer smashes the hedges....
    Im quite a fan of balsam seeds at this point of season mmmmmm.

Wanderer
    what are we doing with sea aster? I had to google that one

And I noticed the hazel nuts yesterday whilst taking some branches for a shelf on my bbq. are you eating them raw or cooking them??? it feels early
    Last edited by twosmokeforever; 02-09-2013 at 07:21 AM.

most of the hazel trees round by me have been raided by the squirrels already, may still be a tad early, not to sure with nuts but i guess if you were to leave them to ripen for a few days to a week then roasted them they would be good, never tired them raw though.

i cant get enough of stinging nettles and lime leaves at the moment, the nettles are a bit past it now because they seem to be at best before they flower as for the lime leaves the bigger ones have absorbed a fair bit of carbon by now so i go for the smaller younger leaves as they taste really nice and are very good for you, have a few handfuls while on a walk and you can notice the difference after eating them.

never heard of sea aster, ill go look on google for some pictures, noticed your location is bristol twosmoke have you tired getting some from the bristol channel/ estuary??

cheers

Madz
    I'm a simple man, pleased by simple things...................Nature wins.

Take your time and do not rush, take in every thing while out in the brush.

Quote Originally Posted by twosmokeforever View Post
    what are we doing with sea aster? I had to google that one

And I noticed the hazel nuts yesterday whilst taking some branches for a shelf on my bbq. are you eating them raw or cooking them??? it feels early
    Scoffing them raw....
    They're still green and not quite as tasty , but still good none the less ;-)

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadZ View Post
    most of the hazel trees round by me have been raided by the squirrels already, may still be a tad early, not to sure with nuts but i guess if you were to leave them to ripen for a few days to a week then roasted them they would be good, never tired them raw though.

i cant get enough of stinging nettles and lime leaves at the moment, the nettles are a bit past it now because they seem to be at best before they flower as for the lime leaves the bigger ones have absorbed a fair bit of carbon by now so i go for the smaller younger leaves as they taste really nice and are very good for you, have a few handfuls while on a walk and you can notice the difference after eating them.

never heard of sea aster, ill go look on google for some pictures, noticed your location is bristol twosmoke have you tired getting some from the bristol channel/ estuary??

cheers

Madz

yeah I went for wander at aust passage overlooking the bridges, I was fed at work a very thrilling sales meeting so it was just for a 5min look around

I found the sea aster in flower, but what has luresalive been doing with it? also I am sure I found the sea buckthorn (berries still green) another new one to me what can we do with this one?

in a few mins I found
    common mallow
    nettle
    dandylion
    crab apple
    raddish
    blackberry
    rose hip
    lesser plantain
    bladderwrack
    sea beet looking really good, when I have me some fish I will return
    orache

what a great time of year more field mushrooms for breakfast

Ripe blackberry
    plums
    samphire
    sea beet
    oysters

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    That's a good question.

I think it's chestnuts for me. I love them raw (don't like them roasted). Simple and easy to identify, simple to collect. OK, a faff getting the pith off, but there's something hugely satisfying and rewarding when you get a big chestnut and it's one of those ones where the pith peels off nice and easily and then that gorgeous crunch of the nut and the creamy taste.

Yup, I'll choose chestnuts. Or hazelnuts.
    Could`nt agree more