Thread: Found on walk in woods

Found on walk in woods

Hi,
    I found this Fungi, on a walk in the woods and my little mushroom and toadstool book assures me it is edible. I didn't disturb it but it was very firm like a cabbage and must have weighed a couple of pounds. Has anyone eaten these ? and if so, how do you prepare and cook it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0131.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	6069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0132.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	6070

BJ
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

cauliflower fungus looks a nice size, never had it myself or seen it supposed to be good eating ! after cleaning it up

Basha

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    how do you prepare and cook it.
    Break it up into pieces in a bowl of cold water. Lots of small creatures will probably crawl and slither out of it. Then take out the pieces a bit at a time, making sure each piece is clean. It does not absorb water like other fungi. Leave it to dry.

Then fry it in butter. It's a first-class edible fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dann View Post
    Break it up into pieces in a bowl of cold water. Lots of small creatures will probably crawl and slither out of it. Then take out the pieces a bit at a time, making sure each piece is clean. It does not absorb water like other fungi. Leave it to dry.

Then fry it in butter. It's a first-class edible fungus.
    Hi Geoff,
    thanks for that, I will try some of this , because it is one of the few fungi I have seen that I could positively identify.
    cheers
    BJ
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”