Thread: Enquiry to the Lowa Combat GTX

Enquiry to the Lowa Combat GTX

Lowa Combat GTX

I'm very much considering my first pair of real boots (meaning paying more than £40 - or so) and the Lowa Combat GTX has caught my eye... My apologies if this kind of thread has been done before.

I'd like to open this thread for comments on them. How much punishment can they take with regards to scrapes and scuffs, are they happy to trudge through puddles and mud, how does the sole hold up in rocky and rugged conditions, how are they on stones/pebbles; can you feel each pebble or stone with each step, that sort of thing, how do they fare in hot/cold weather?

Also, what kind of insole should I be looking for?

Thanks to any and all respondents.

Hi MtB
    I got a pair of these boots in a sale in April as I was fed up of other brands, falling to bits after 6-12 months. I can't answer all your queries but can give my opinion on these boots.

First off they look and feel extremely robust footwear. The high leg might not be to everybody's taste, but I like it as I find lower boots press on my Achilles tendon, (my right one often gets sore). So the high leg is a plus for me.(they do a lower version called the Mountain GTX boot) They are a heavy boot, heavier than other hiking or field boots I've worn. The sole is very think and not particularly flexible. When you first get them it takes a while to get rid of the feeling of walking in ski boots. They are though very comfy from the off, no rubbing or chaffing and once they soften up a bit they are a nice boot to wear.

The leather is good quality and so far mine have been 100% waterproof even standing I the river to ankle height. I have trudged through more mud and puddles than I would have wanted this year and my feet have been very dry and comfy. I do though look after the leather, with a wipe down and polish with a good ol' kiwi black every so often. A wipe over with G Wax also helps protect them. I don't expect the gortex to last for ever so proofing will no doubt be necessary as time goes on. After a fair amount of hard outdoor use this year the leather shows no signs of cuts or scrapes.

I would be surprised if you could feel much at all through the sole let alone stones or pebbles. This part seems extremely rugged. How long the actual vibram sole lasts, only time will tell, but mine after 8 months shows virtually no wear. They are resole-able though.
    The base of the upper is surrounded by a rubber skirt that added rigidity and robustness to the boot and should be good for rocky conditions.

I've worn them far more than I would have expected this year due to the really awful weather we have had here in northern France. I have worn them in fairly hot weather 25°c this summer when conditions were very wet, and your feet will feel hot. As far as the cold goes, I wore them yesterday for a day's fishing and with temps hovering around zero I did find my feet a tad cold. Not too bad and I was sitting down, not moving. As soon as I started to walk my feet soon warmed up. I will see this winter how they feel in snow, but I suspect a pair of snow boots would be warmer.

I tried a pair of fairly dear inner soles I had in a previous pair of hiking boots and reverted back to the Lowa supplied ones. So having tried both I have found these to be more comfortable than the others... They may be thinner that after market inners but are more than adequate.

The lacing can be awkward at times, but they pull up nice and tight and support you well, without coming undone too easily. I doubt though I'll get more than 12 months from the supplied laces.

One word of warning about the sizing. they are on the small side, as I bought over the internet, I went onto the Lowa site, measured my foot in mm and looked up the corresponding size, which was half a size bigger than I usually take. This fitted me fine with a thick sock. Some say get a full size bigger, so I guess to be on the safe side you'll need to try them on properly.

All in all I'm very happy with these boots, that I wear virtually everyday.
    Regards
    Gareth
    Last edited by garethw; 02-12-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Firstly what do you want them for ? Are you military, cadet forces, bushcrafting ?
    Secondly if you are paying good money for boots, then buy with your feet, not your eyes and get a pair that fit.

For example I have a pair of Miendl Borneo none goretex. I bought them in 2000 and had them professionally fitted, they are comfy take a crampon and better still they are still going strong 12 years later although they are starting to crack and let water in now and its time for another pair. To be fair though they have had some real punishment in all weathers, and multiple terrains.

For comparison and because of the need for duplicate sets of kit in the same time frame I have gone through 2 pairs of Salomon Pro trek 6's and a pair of Raichle's.

Lowa are a quality manufacturer, I believe the same boot is used by the Bundeswehr but unbranded.

As for insoles - buy the ones that fit, they will significantly change the volume of your boot and the fit - also I could recommend an insole suitable for me but it would be totally wrong for you.

As for hot and cold....Goretex in my opinion makes your feet sweat so it makes them uncomfortable (it does for me). Tight fitting boots will make your feet cold which is why my winter mountain boots are a size larger than normal, restricted blood flow in winter can lead to frostbite - even here in the UK
    [

I've had my pair for 5 years now and have worn them every day on exericise's from afghan to dartmoor. There bombproof, hardwearing as for peebles etc the soles are very good. Its only now that i've replaced them as they need a new sole and they have started to leak although the leathers still in excellent condition. Out of interest I've replaced them with a pair of Lowa Recce Gtx from Cadet direct, so far there just as good, fabric sided so maybe a little less hard wearing but about £40 cheaper.

Hope this helps a bit.