Thread: Artic Down Dose Bag

Hobo

Artic Down Doss Bag

Hi, am new to this site so appologies if this has been posted before.
    Has any one any experience of this bag?
    I'm looking to replace my old Snugpak Antarctca as its a bit flat now and gets cold spots.

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index....roduct_id=2059

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Anglian; 29-11-2012 at 09:46 AM.

i have an issue Arctic bag, i love it, its a bit heavy if your tramping a long way but i would rather keep warm carrying it than freeze at night

i think the 'Dose Bag' might put a few off! i wouldnt want one of them chap.
    The Only Possible Guarantee Of The Future Is Responsible Behaviour In The Present

I still have my issue '58 Artic Doss bag too. As admo says, heavy but very warm, as much use as wet cardboard all use when wet so invest in a decent bivi bag. Be warned they are big comfy bags so may lose loft when stuffed into a smaller bivi bag.

Although as ex TA im surprised you haven't come across them. They were still in some TA unit stores until the late 90's
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Anglian View Post
    Hi, am new to this site so appologies if this has been posted before.
    Has any one any experience of this bag?
    I'm looking to replace my old Snugpak Antarctca as its a bit flat now and gets cold spots.

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index....roduct_id=2059

Thanks for looking.
    Hold yer horses Kimosabi....

Look on e-bay, I bought one grade 1, with compression sack, for £25 + £5 p&p.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3007415906...84.m1439.l2649
    Save you a few bob for something else..

I can still remember the Green slug, with watterproof back, and down filled polycotton top..
    Last edited by SimonB; 28-11-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

In addition to the advice above, if for some reason you can't find what you are after on evilbay and you have any half decent surplus stores where you are, pop in and see if they have any. And if you find one you like the look of and you are not bothered about being given funny looks, give it a try in the shop (generally speaking, taking your boots off before you step into one, upsets the vendor less, in my experience) to see if it is a comfortable fit for you.

I picked up one of these bags for £25 down my local surplus store a little while ago. It was in top condition and unusually for a sleeping bags where my shoulders are concerned, it is quite a comfortable fit i.e. it is not like having clingfilm wrapped around your chest from your elbows to your shoulders.

I've managed to sneak out for a couple of cheeky overnighters recently, before the weather went completely mental and I can confirm this bag is warm, very warm (I used mine in conjunction with the CABR outer shell bivy substitute to protect it against any stray rain and a sleeping bag liner, didn't need the liner to be honest). It is a very bulky bag, but if you avoid the temptation to take lots of other kit you don't but might need (but really won't need), then you can happily hike to your preferred destination without an attending team of Sherpa's carrying your gear

Good luck.
    Ansum La

Hobo
    Thanks to all for usefull info, I must look closer next time as I thought this was a later type than the old 58 slug or an imported type. I'm looking for a bag for early spring and late autumn nights in a hammock. I've found a lot of useful info on tis site already and i've only been a member for a day so more reading for me.

Thanks Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Anglian View Post
    Thanks to all for usefull info, I must look closer next time as I thought this was a later type than the old 58 slug or an imported type. I'm looking for a bag for early spring and late autumn nights in a hammock. I've found a lot of useful info on tis site already and i've only been a member for a day so more reading for me.

Thanks Sean
    It's the current issue bag... The old slug still has a place in my memories.... I believe you can pick up an old 58 pattern for around £10- £15... If it's late autumn /early spring, a slug will do fine....
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

I must have got a bad one, Ive used mine for 2 nights and never again. Its not the weight factor even though that was a pain but I knew about that before I got it. Both nights I suffered alot with condensation and got pretty wet and cold. I decided to go for a snugpak softie 3 instead and thats brilliant.

Scott