Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TW Or DD Hammock What Would You Choose

I bought the sleeve, or snake skin, when I bought the DD. Didn't use it for long as I found it just made the packaged hammock or tarp even bulkier. Its easier to use the bags and it really does not take long to pack up properly.
    Last edited by jus_young; 19-11-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Rushed spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I bought the sleeve, or snake skin, when I bought the DD. Din't use it for long as I found it just made the packaged hammock or tarp even bulkier. Its easier to use the bags and it really does not take laong to pack up properly.
    Hence bishop bags. It does both jobs very well. So much easier to pack away, especially if you've set up a structural ridge line.

Trapper
    Well guys I am convert from ground dwell to dd hammock and tarp. Xmas present to myself ssssh dont tell missus

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    I think I am now sold on the TW Hammock now. I saw a vid on Youtube and the guy was not small but he said that they had masses of room. I have sent TW an email to see if they still sell the 1.8 metre wide Green Hornet with the double zips. If so, one will be mine this Christmas.
    Yippie !!!! I received an email from those wonderful people at TW this morning and they told me they always make a few extra when a customer requests a size or design that is not normally for sale. They had a small amount left so after a little sweet talk to the boss she agreed to buy me one for Christmas as long as its not opened until then by me, although she will check it over when delivered. The one I have bought is the 2.8m x 1.8m Green Hornet which is double zipped to include where the underquilt goes instead of the standard velcro.

A tarp can wait till after the new year because I don't plan to try sleeping outdoors in it for a while. Even though I was swayed towards TW for my hammock, I might go the other way for a tarp. You seem to have more options with the DD and they look better and have a bigger size. There again, TW sell the Cornelius Tarp which is a little lighter at 1200g compared to 1250 For the DD but the Cornelius looks more heavy duty and comes with D ring hangers for a mozzi net, corner segments and ridgeline loops. The only downside is that it is 3 x 3 compared to the DD which is 4 x 4.

At least it will give me time to weigh up the pros and cons on both for a while before I buy one.

Cheers Neil

Good choice. You won't be disappointed.

I have a TW basic hammock which is light, simple and roomy. Main pain in the rear was having to use a separate bug net. A mate was selling a DD frontline so I bought that from him for a very nice price but havent had the chance to use it yet.

I have the cornelius tarp too, but its the heavier MK1 version, but its very robust and offers wonderful protection from the elements
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    I have the cornelius tarp too, but its the heavier MK1 version, but its very robust and offers wonderful protection from the elements
    It does look a good bit of kit but its just the size that bothers me. Considering it is only 3 x 3, there won't be much room left it it compared to a DD 4.5 x 3.0 or a 4 x 4.

Make sure you don't get a "compact" or a "scout" hammock, whichever manufacturer you go for, as the reduced length really makes your ankles push together, ending up in an uncomfortable night.

like others have said, I have used both DD and TW and found the "build quality" and choice of materials to be pretty much the same. You'll be happy with either I think, so go for what you can afford, in whichever brand. It's also worth checking DDs website for their "seconds", as these only have minor faults (which can easily be fixed), but are normally half price.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Thanks for the advice Adam.

The one I have bought is the Green Hornet 2.8 metre long x 1.8 metre wide and is fitted with two zips instead of one. I thought it would be better if the place where the underblanket goes was zipped instead of velcro.

Complete off topic, did another forum member ask about Tesco microlight sleeping bags the other day. Just been up to our local and they have them in for just under twenty quid.

Oh, sorry bud, didn't realise you actually received one lol. Sounds like the perfect size mate. Think you'll be nice an cozy in that. It might take you a few nights to find "your" ideal setup, but I'm sure you'll settle in nicely.

I know someone was asking about the Ultra-lite (down filled version), but not sure about the Micro-lite...
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel