Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TW Or DD Hammock What Would You Choose

TW Or DD Hammock What Would You Choose

Christmas is nearly hear and I have asked SWMBO for a hammock from Santa. The problem is both companies make good hammocks. The DD Frontline is breathable compared to their travel hammock but TW Hammocks make the Hornet which is zipped where you stick your underblanket and they make one which is 1.8 metre wide.

Which one do you guys and gals use and why is it better than the other.

Cheers Neil

I had a dd travel I now have a tw grey hornet and a tw xl. In winter the xl with no bug net is great. It's so big you get a very flat lay. In summer the grey hornet is still bigger than the dd so comfier. Hence me selling the dd.

Hi, I have a dd camping hammock, not bothered about the mozzy net, and I love it. I'm a big guy and find it very comfy. I do have my eye on a warbonnet blackbird though, but that'll have to be a pressy from Santa.
    Never used a tw so can't comment, but dd's are tough.

Tell you later, the lads not in bed yet...

Now he is

Looking at the two together (just bought the TW Hornet for his Christmas present) There is not a huge amount of difference in the general design but there are a few subtle differences that may make you sway more towards one rather than the other so here are my thoughts so far:

Overall design

Well, a hammock is a hammock and there are not a lot of different ways of changing that! Both the TW Hornet and the DD Travel/Frontline utilise the double layer base with a bug net for bite protection. The Travel from DD is the only one to boast a waterproof base but this impacts on breathability. The DD's also have a zip on each side of the bug net as opposed to the TW Hornet that I have bought, but there are other versions available with twin zips. The TW, however, has a zip to close the two base layers as opposed to a few bits of velcro for the DD's. There is also a softer feel to the material utilised to make the TW hammocks.

Space

I have not been in the TW yet as its my sons present but I have strung it up to check it over so there are no disappointments on Christmas Day. What I did notice was that the TW looks like its wider and therefore forms a deeper base in which to lay. This helps with getting that diagonal position for a good nights sleep. The net also stands much higher when rigged, and I reckon that I could quite easily sit up in there without touching the net. When it comes to the DD, I have used it quite a few times and slept very well indead. The more cramped conditions have never bothered me as I never knew anything different. The DD just works

Quality

It looks good so far. The sewing is spot on, no loose ends or bits not done, durable multiple stitching on all stress points, in fact I can't find anything different between the two again. What I do know is that the DD so far has stood up to the use its had with no problems but the TW is still unused, only time will tell.

Other Stuff

The TW came with enough strapping, stainless rings and webbing to get you swinging from the trees. The DD comes with a little less but probably enough as you will soon be adapting it anyway! What did work for me with the TW though is a rather nice stuff sack that has multiple compression straps and enough spare room to put in a TW XL tarp and rigging with room to spare. The DD comes with a standard stuff bag but does not make it impossible to put the hammock back in thankfully. Both also come with ally tubes to spread the bug net open.

The Verdict

The TW hammocks really do look good and I may well get swayed in their direction when I get to climb in on Christmas Day. The DD is an impressive bit of kit and I love it to bits but I just have this little feeling that the extra space in the TW Hornet might make it a bit more comfortable, if that can be done. Either way you can't lose and TW have some lovely looking gear, I have bought a couple of the Sargasso Tarps aswell and these are half the packed size of the DD 3x3, but maybe a little less versatile for the moment until the sewing machine comes out again

Love the write up.

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Thanks for the advice guys, there seems to be pro's and cons for both. Excellent write up Jus. I'm a big lad as well and I tend to move around a lot when sleeping so a larger hammock might be a better idea. The Travel Hammock might not be a good idea due to the breathability issues. I tend to chuck the quilt off at home in the middle of Winter and the meds I am on make me burn up quite a lot so I think one that breathes would be a better idea. I do like the idea of the covered ends on the Hornet Hammock, plus the zip feature which keeps in the underquilt instead of velcro. The TW Hammocks are slightly cheaper than the DD (a tenner) but TW don't sell the hammock sleeves.

I will have to make my mind up soon, otherwise it will be socks for Christmas again !!.

Cheers Neil

Well, this thread will be mighty useful to me, since I've only snoozed in a snoozing bag . I've been wondering whether I should go with a DD or TW myself. Right now I may go with the TW Hornet, but I'm open to suggestions from great folks like you .

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Now he is

Looking at the two together (just bought the TW Hornet for his Christmas present) There is not a huge amount of difference in the general design but there are a few subtle differences that may make you sway more towards one rather than the other so here are my thoughts so far:

Overall design

Well, a hammock is a hammock and there are not a lot of different ways of changing that! Both the TW Hornet and the DD Travel/Frontline utilise the double layer base with a bug net for bite protection. The Travel from DD is the only one to boast a waterproof base but this impacts on breathability. The DD's also have a zip on each side of the bug net as opposed to the TW Hornet that I have bought, but there are other versions available with twin zips. The TW, however, has a zip to close the two base layers as opposed to a few bits of velcro for the DD's. There is also a softer feel to the material utilised to make the TW hammocks.

Space

I have not been in the TW yet as its my sons present but I have strung it up to check it over so there are no disappointments on Christmas Day. What I did notice was that the TW looks like its wider and therefore forms a deeper base in which to lay. This helps with getting that diagonal position for a good nights sleep. The net also stands much higher when rigged, and I reckon that I could quite easily sit up in there without touching the net. When it comes to the DD, I have used it quite a few times and slept very well indead. The more cramped conditions have never bothered me as I never knew anything different. The DD just works

Quality

It looks good so far. The sewing is spot on, no loose ends or bits not done, durable multiple stitching on all stress points, in fact I can't find anything different between the two again. What I do know is that the DD so far has stood up to the use its had with no problems but the TW is still unused, only time will tell.

Other Stuff

The TW came with enough strapping, stainless rings and webbing to get you swinging from the trees. The DD comes with a little less but probably enough as you will soon be adapting it anyway! What did work for me with the TW though is a rather nice stuff sack that has multiple compression straps and enough spare room to put in a TW XL tarp and rigging with room to spare. The DD comes with a standard stuff bag but does not make it impossible to put the hammock back in thankfully. Both also come with ally tubes to spread the bug net open.

The Verdict

The TW hammocks really do look good and I may well get swayed in their direction when I get to climb in on Christmas Day. The DD is an impressive bit of kit and I love it to bits but I just have this little feeling that the extra space in the TW Hornet might make it a bit more comfortable, if that can be done. Either way you can't lose and TW have some lovely looking gear, I have bought a couple of the Sargasso Tarps aswell and these are half the packed size of the DD 3x3, but maybe a little less versatile for the moment until the sewing machine comes out again
    Wow - well thought-out review!
    Thanks for sharing the info .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Dd sleeves fit on tw hammocks. Preferring bishop bags now myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    Dd sleeves fit on tw hammocks. Preferring bishop bags now myself.
    I had to Google Bishop Bags as I didn't know what they were but after finding out they look a good idea.

I think I am now sold on the TW Hammock now. I saw a vid on Youtube and the guy was not small but he said that they had masses of room. I have sent TW an email to see if they still sell the 1.8 metre wide Green Hornet with the double zips. If so, one will be mine this Christmas.