Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival Challenge (on paper)

Well fella's I would look at the map, realise I had the wrong one, Drink the full bottle of rum and chuck the rest of the gear over the side in disgust. Then realising what I have just done jump in the water realise too late that I can't swim, Panic and swallow a shed load of water, slowly drown,,,,,,,, game over.

I'll get me coat.. Dave

Trapper
    My ditch kit has a lot more stuff in it than that (Including the raft!) can I not use all those bits? :-)

I can't see the mosquito net being much use for fishing - the mesh is way too fine.

The floating cushion could be used as a life saver if somebody falls in I suppose.

Given where we are I would dump the radio as there's not likely to be any signal to listen to and without a transmitter there's no point. I would take the batteries out though as I could use them as a fire lighter.

The alcohol is 80% abv so could be used for sterilising wounds but wouldn't be much use for anything else - It won't float so no use for signalling.

Fishing kit (assuming we can catch some fish) would provide water via fish blood & flesh too but then water is needed to digest food (protein especially). Little and often with eating raw fish as this should reduce the amount of water needed to digest it (maybe I'm not 100% sure but it seems to ring true).

That's about as far as I've got but then I've had a long day lol

Are my two castaway friends male or female? No idea if this makes a difference but I will think on it.

Trapper
    In fact, if they are female - The chocolate goes higher up my list

Quote Originally Posted by NeedABrew View Post
    I can't see the mosquito net being much use for fishing - the mesh is way too fine.
    Well, it could be used as a dip net - say for instance you're lucky enough to catch a fairly large fish, you could use the mosquito netting to help bring the fish to the surface...assuming you were smart enough to use the nylon rope as a makeshift frame for the net, which would make landing the fish a lot easier. But yeah, other than that, the mosquito netting is pretty much useless.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedABrew View Post
    In fact, if they are female - The chocolate goes higher up my list
    Definitely true . And I've even known some guys to go crazy for chocolate.
    But hey, that's the beauty of the endorphins and serotonin from the cocoa bean .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

stuck in a life raft with 2 women? fxxk it ide jump over board and be done with it.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    stuck in a life raft with 2 women? ide jump over board and be done with it.
    Now that has to be the correct answer
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    stuck in a life raft with 2 women? fxxk it ide jump over board and be done with it.
    Oh I don't know, I reckon you could have some fun in that situation

A sextant ..... No good if you don't know how to use it.... See if I have a phone singal, and internet.. Stick it on ebay.
    A shaving Mirror.... Good for signalling, would keep it...
    a quantity of mosquito netting ... Try and make a drift net to catch fish in early morning/evening, and use it as a sunshade during the heat of the day.
    a 25L container of water Definitely keep.. The number one on my list.
    A case of army rations ... Number two on my list,
    Maps of the Pacific Ocean ... Make good loo roll as it's the wrong map for the water I'm stuck in.
    A floating seat cushion .... Sit the most unfriendly of the three survivors in itand cast him off........
    a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture .... Wait to see any passing planes/ boats in distance... chuck it overboard wait for a big slick, (making sure it is going AWAY from the lifeboat), then light it... The black smoke created should be seen for miles.
    A small transistor radio.. See if there's any local radio/ shipping transmissions to get a rough idea how far from land we are.
    20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting ... Combined with nylon rope, try and make a kite sail...
    Can of shark repellent Good deodourant if nowt else...
    One bottle of 160 per cent proof rum.. HIC!!!!
    15ft nylon rope... See plastic sheet
    2 boxes of chocolate bars.. Add to ration pack.
    A fishing kit.. Used with mossy net..
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

I have decided to knock the nail on the head a day early as i am going to be busy tomorrow evening....

So, I would have to agree with some of you, and this is a little farfetched but at the end of the day it is a little bit of fun and a little bit of banter.. In my eyes there is no right and wrong answer because everyone would do things slightly differently... as far as I know it was someone from the US coastguard who made up the question and the answers...
    I have always been told throughout school and college that 'The ability to read is a distinct advantage’ and this applies here..

So in the eyes of the interviewer these were the correct answers....

According to the experts, in this case the US coastguards, the basic supplies needed when a person is stranded mid-ocean are articles to attract attention and aid survival until rescue arrives. Articles for navigation are of little importance since even if a small life raft were capable of reaching land, it would be impossible to store enough food and water to survive for that amount of time. Without signalling devices, there is almost no chance of being spotted and rescued.
    So, the list below is the ranking order of the items according to their importance to your survival:

A sextant.. 15 - Useless without relevant tables and a chronometer
    A shaving Mirror... 1 - Critical for signalling
    A quantity of mosquito netting ... 14 - There are NO mosquitoes in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and the netting is useless for anything else
    a 25L container of water ... 3 Vital to restore lost fluids
    A case of army rations ... 4 - This is your basic food intake
    Maps of the Pacific Ocean ... 13 - Useless wrong Ocean
    A floating seat cushion .... 9 - Useful as a life preserver if someone falls overboard
    a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture .... 2 - Critical for signalling. The mixture will float on water and could be ignited using the matches
    A small transistor radio.. 12 - You would be out of range of any radio station
    20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting ... 5 - Can be used to collect rain water and shelter from the wind and waves
    Can of shark repellent... 10 - to repel sharks, of course.
    One bottle of 160 percent proof rum.. 11 - Contains 80% alcohol, which means it can be used as an antiseptic for any injuries, otherwise of little value. it would cause dehydration if drunk.
    15ft nylon rope... 8 - Could be used to lash all the equipment together to prevent it being washed overboard in a storm.
    2 boxes of chocolate bars.. 6 - Your reserve food supply
    A fishing kit.. 7 - Ranked lower than the chocolate as there is no guarantee you will catch any fish

I would like to thank everyone for giving it a go and having a laugh at each other’s answers (I know I laughed at a few) and like a said before everyone would react differently but may still come to the same outcome so there is no right or wrong answers.. But well done to all those people who got fairly close to the answers.

Cheers Dave

Banned
    Yeah, but did she get the job?