Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival Challenge (on paper)

The main use for a sextant in navigation (at least as far as I know how to use one), is to determine your position, relative to the equator and pole (latitude). This can be done using other items too, or even your fingers for a rough idea, but without a chart/map of the ocean you are in, it's pretty hard to make use of that information, especially if you have no knowledge/experience of sailing/navigating at sea.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Banned
    Now the problem with these management type exercises is that they are complete nonsense, and are only used to fill an hour on the whizzy assessment centre that the company have paid £000s to put on, to make them look like a FTSE Top 100 Very Important Company. We do not know anywhere near enough information to make anything like an informed decision.

For instance where in the Atlantic did this happen? Near Rockall and you won't be needing the Shark spray, near the Azores and you may well. Is it summer, autumn, winter or spring? What are you wearing? Did anyone die, or are you all squeezing into the liferaft? As for providing the "correct answer", well, on here there is quite a bit of experience, and we can't agree, so how the hell is there a right answer. Lofty, Bear and Ray would struggle to agree on this one.

1. A sextant
    2. A shaving Mirror
    3. a quantity of mosquito netting
    4. a 25L container of water
    5. A case of army rations
    6. Maps of the Pacific Ocean
    7. A floating seat cushion
    8. a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture
    9. A small transistor radio
    10. 20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting
    11. Can of shark repellent
    12. One bottle of 160 per cent proof rum
    13. 15ft nylon rope
    14. 2 boxes of chocolate bars
    15. A fishing kit

My main piece of advice would be to turn down any job in a company that uses this process to select suitable individuals to work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyRider View Post
    Did anyone die, or are you all squeezing into the liferaft?
    The Skipper and two crew were lost in the fire, so I assume they perished, leaving you and three friends.

I agree totally with your statement though. It's impossible to be totally accurate with the information given, but I guess it's only a bit of fun for us Mainly to poke fun at stupid "team building" activities, dreamt up by some pencil pusher with a psychology degree
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Sigh ! Here we go yet again. We are doing it for a bit of fun, a bit of a distraction well, some of us are.
    [

Banned
    A sextant. Pointless, you can't use it as you don't have the appropriate charts, skills or knowledge. Chuck it out.
    A shaving Mirror. Signalling possibilities, it stays.
    a quantity of mosquito netting. Possible use as a mosquito net I suppose.
    a 25L container of water. Water water everywhere, but not a drop to drink. It stays.
    A case of army rations. Food, it stays.
    Maps of the Pacific Ocean. Possible use as kindling or arse wiping paper
    A floating seat cushion. Possible kindling.
    a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture. Signalling possibilities.
    A small transistor radio. Chuck it out. You don't need to know the football scores, and the frequencies will be all wrong.
    20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting. It stays, you can wrap bodies in it as you have to kill them to eat.
    Can of shark repellent. Where are we exactly? Nah, sod it, chuck it, or keep it as a flamethrower when your mates come looking to eat you.
    One bottle of 160 per cent proof rum. Yayy, get pissed!
    15ft nylon rope. It stays, you may come across someone who has blown out to sea on a lilo and who needs a tow
    2 boxes of chocolate bars. Yummy
    A fishing kit. I hate fish, I'd chuck it.

Still sticking with no order though, as everything I need I need, everything I don't I don't. I'd argue it out at the one to one interview stage.

Did your girlfriend get the job? Was it for a pharmaceutical company by any chance?
    Last edited by GalaxyRider; 14-11-2012 at 06:17 PM.

i had the 'crash in the artic' version of this on a job centre approved training session,when i made the pont that there was not enough information i was given a warning,when the woman instructor went through the list of items and said that the brandy was the most important becouse it would keep you warm i explained that it doesnt it actually lowers your bodies tempurature thus making you feel warmer and you were probably going to kill yourself like that,i was chucked off the course and benifits stopped! lol

however i thank the thread strter as ive quite enjoyed this bit of fun.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Well said fish. Alcohol predisposes humans to hypothermia !!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Well said fish. Alcohol predisposes humans to hypothermia !!
    apparently so does being well informed and the jc stops yer money! lol
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Bloody job centres eh?
    [

I would just go for a swim!

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR