Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival Challenge (on paper)

Survival Challenge (on paper)

Hi all I have a nice little challenge to do below. This is something my girlfriend had to do in a interview she had... Have a go and write down your findings and I will release the answers in a week today!!

So here goes....

Lost at Sea
    You have chartered a yacht with three friends, for the holiday trip of a lifetime across the Atlantic Ocean. Because none of you have any previous sailing experience, you have hired an experienced skipper and two person crew.

Unfortunately in mid Atlantic a fierce fire breaks out in the ships galley and the skipper and crew have been lost whilst trying to fight the blaze. Much of the yacht is destroyed and is slowly sinking.

Your location is unclear because vital navigation and radio equipment have been damaged in the fire. Your best estimate is that you are many hundreds of miles from the nearest landfall.

You and your friends have managed to save 15 items, undamaged and intact after the fire. In addition you have salvaged a four man rubber life craft and a box of matches.

Your test is to rank the 15 items below in terms of importance (and write your reason why), as you wait to be rescued. Place the number 1 by the most important item, number 2 by the second most important, and so on through to number 15 for the least important.

Here is your list of items (in no particular order)
    A sextant
    A shaving Mirror
    a quantity of mosquito netting
    a 25L container of water
    A case of army rations
    Maps of the Pacific Ocean
    A floating seat cushion
    a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture
    A small transistor radio
    20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting
    Can of shark repellent
    One bottle of 160 per cent proof rum
    15ft nylon rope
    2 boxes of chocolate bars
    A fishing kit

Cheers Dave!

I'll bite

1. Water - Always need water

2. Transistor radio - To listen/call for any nearby help

3. Army rations - Handy for eating

4. Mirror - for signaling

5. Chocolate bars - Mmmmm choclate!

6. Fishing kit

7. Rope - always handy

8. Plastic sheeting - Could be used to make a sail?

9. Shark repellant

10. Mosquito netting - To make fishing net(s) with rope prehaps

11. Petrol/oil mix - I assume that the raft doesn't have a special motor that runs on this mix. You could pour it on the water an ignite it to signal help but I'm a bit dubious about this method as you could burn up the raft doing this.

12. Rum - a pleasant distraction if you're near death

13. Maps - This is low on the list as I assume we don't know where we are and I can't use a sextant

14. Sextant - I personally don't know how to use one so it ranks low on my list. If a book like 'Sextants for dummies' was included then it would rank higher on my list as well as the maps.

15. Floating seat - Nice but not necessary.

And so ends the list.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

My effort...

1. a 25L container of water - always first priority
    2. 20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting - can use as protective shelter material, sail & to collect rain water or collect condensation at night
    3. A case of army rations - after water & shelter comes food
    4. A shaving Mirror - means of signaling
    5. A fishing kit - potential for extra food
    6. 2 boxes of chocolate bars - extra calories
    7. 15ft nylon rope - multiple uses
    8. A floating seat cushion - can be used with untwined rope and net as a form of drift net for fishing or as a floating platform for petrol fires for signalling
    9. a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture
    10. One bottle of 160 per cent proof rum - alcohol - use for 1st aid or as the last resort...!
    11.a quantity of mosquito netting - could be used for fishing net
    12. Can of shark repellent - you never know...
    13. A small transistor radio - keeping up morale
    14. A sextant - don't know how to use one
    15. Maps of the Pacific Ocean (wrong ocean...!)

Paul
    Last edited by paul standley; 13-11-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

A sextant 15: They may eventually figure out how to use it, but would be useless without charts really
    A shaving Mirror 10: Use for signalling any aircraft or ships
    a quantity of mosquito netting 7: For fishing, tied along nylon rope
    a 25L container of water 1: For drinking
    A case of army rations 4: For eating
    Maps of the Pacific Ocean 14: May be used for thermal insulation perhaps
    A floating seat cushion 8: Attach to one end of the nylon rope
    a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture 13: No apparent use, as no way of igniting it
    A small transistor radio 11: For keeping yourself sane, and listening for any news on search parties
    20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting 3: Use for capturing condensation from sea water in raft, to produce drinking water
    Can of shark repellent 12: In the rare chance a shark will attack
    One bottle of 160 per cent proof rum 2: Also for drinking. Although not ideal, you get far more fluids from alcohol than you loose through dehydration
    15ft nylon rope 9: Attach one end to raft to secure
    2 boxes of chocolate bars 5: Also for eating, high in calories
    A fishing kit 6: For catching fish to eat
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

1] A shaving Mirror good for signalling ,also if washed up on an island full of Polynesian girls you want to look your best!

2] a 25L container of water Wont last long without it.also hygene old boy those girls are just waiting out there!

3] 15ft nylon rope allways handy! can be unwound to make line for fishing,sewing,

4] A fishing kit better to catch some grub ie fish,or birds that way make other food supplies last longer,help with morale besides there may be trout on that island eh?

5] 2 boxes of chocolate bars easilly converted into energy without using too much fluids to digest,and those native girls just love chocy bars.

6] A case of army rations again usefull as army rations dont just contain food.

7] a quantity of mosquito netting good for netting prawns,fry and other small sea insects,also if you make it to an island itd be a shame to die of malaria with all those polynesian maidens about! (also would make nice bikini's)

8] 20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting would make for a good sail,water catchment or shelter,could make a smoking jacket,no need to let standards slip old boy.

9] Maps of the Pacific Ocean may show shipping lanes and other usefull info.

10] A floating seat cushion flotation device and can hold water colected from rain.

11] a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture make a visible slick on water for air search.

12] A small transistor radio good for morale if nothing else,also parts could be useful for making suff like fishing lures etc.also keep up with the archers.

13] One bottle of 160 per cent proof rum Hardly a singlr malt but beggars cant be choosers eh?good for an antiseptic and seduction of said Polynesian girls....

14] Can of shark repellent you never know! dont supose it lasts long but would be good for confidence.

15] A sextant good for trading with the natives chaps they just love shiney stuff,and i have no idea how to use one!
    Last edited by fish; 13-11-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Before I submit an answer I'd like to research this by watching the entire Gilligan's Island series...

I'm with Paul except following the rule of 3's - 3 mins first aid, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water 3 weeks without food

1. 20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting - can use as protective shelter material, sail & to collect rain water or collect condensation at night and for an improvised burn dressing
    2. a 25L container of water
    3. A case of army rations - after water & shelter comes food, cardboard packing for insulation...?
    4. A shaving Mirror - means of signaling
    5. A fishing kit - potential for extra food, and monofilament for suturing
    6. 2 boxes of chocolate bars - extra calories
    7. 15ft nylon rope - multiple uses
    8. A floating seat cushion - can be used with untwined rope and net as a form of drift net for fishing or as a floating platform for petrol fires for signalling
    9. a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture
    10. One bottle of 160 per cent proof rum - alcohol - use for 1st aid or as the last resort...!
    11.a quantity of mosquito netting - could be used for fishing net
    12. Can of shark repellent - you never know...
    13. A small transistor radio - keeping up morale
    14. A sextant - don't know how to use one
    Last edited by Silverback; 14-11-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    [

Well, let me see....

1: 25 L of water - hydrate or die
    2: A small transistor radio - possible communication with US Coast Guard or other rescue service
    3: A shaving mirror - useful for signaling to aircraft/ships
    4: 20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting - useful for collecting rainwater, could also make a sail
    5: A fishing kit - hopefully you'll catch fish for some grub
    6: A quantity of mosquito netting - you could fashion yourself a fishing net (could be very handy if used with fishing kit)
    7: A case of army rations - extra grub
    8: A sextant - to determine your approximate location (latitude and longitude), sighting Polaris for navigation...if you know how to use it
    9: 15 ft nylon rope - many uses...you could use it to improve the mosquito net for fishing
    10: Can of shark repellent - for the obvious reason, though you should be OK if you stay in the boat
    11: 2 boxes of chocolate bars - high calorie grub for extra energy
    12: A floating seat cushion - can be used as an extra bobber for fishing kit
    13: a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture - if the the boat doesn't have a motor, it's pretty much useless
    14: Maps of the Pacific Ocean - well, you're in the wrong ocean for it to be of much value for navigation; however, you could pour some of the petrol on it, put it on the floating seat cushion and light it on fire for signaling (should make black smoke)...as a last resort, or if a rescue ship/plane is close and for whatever reason the crews don't notice you flashing your mirror
    15: One bottle of 160 per cent proof rum - if you're close to death, toast yourself and get drunk; die happy...er, sort of . Otherwise, don't drink it...you'll just dehydrate further. If you do get rescued, it's drinks all around for you, your friends, and the rescue crew .

With luck, you'll be rescued. Or if you're really lucky, you might survive to make landfall at the Azores islands.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post

Paul
    Ha ha, well spotted. I'm glad I put it down so far on my list now.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

1. A shaving Mirror for signaling in day. You've a good chance of being rescued quickly. The captain would have logged your course and you would probably be on a radar screen somewhere.

2. a 10L can of petrol/oil mixture & matches. As above for signaling at night, pour the mixture on the water and set fire to it.

3. 20 square feet of opaque plastic sheeting (used with item 4)

4. 15ft nylon rope , use with plastic sheet to make a sea anchor, will help reduce the search area if you stop drifting.

5. a 25L container of water. If not rescued quickly dehidration is next priority.

6. 2 boxes of chocolate bars. A good moral boost.

7. A case of army rations

8. A small transistor radio. Another moral boost.

9. A fishing kit. Keep busy.

10. Can of shark repellent

11. a quantity of mosquito netting

12. A floating seat cushion

13. One bottle of 160 per cent proof rum

14. Maps of the Pacific Ocean. No sailing experience, where would to go. Plus it would make the search area bigger if you did move.

15. A sextant. I wouldn't know how to use it, would you.
    Not all those who wander are lost