Thread: Recomendations for a 4 season down bag that compresses small?

Question Recomendations for a lightweight 4 season down bag that compresses small?

Hi guys/gals, I'm looking for any recommendations on a lightweight (1.5kg and below) 4 season down sleeping bag that compresses well. Previously I was looking for a budget one and opted for a cheap Tesco one which will be great for summer but I have now sold my iPad 3 and thinking of splashing out on a decent one for all 4 seasons. Obviously I don't want to spend too much but considering 150-200, the cheaper the better but will consider all.

I've looked at various brands like Alpkit, Mountain Equipment, Rab etc but looking for any specific recommendations or personal preferences for a decent bag that compacts well to help in my decision.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Adam.
    Last edited by ADz; 26-10-2012 at 10:41 PM.

the ray mears one seems to be about as good as it gets.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Have you seen this one, good reviews. http://www.heinnie.com/Sleeping-Bags...-518-519-4565/
    No connection whatsoever with shop or owners etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

thats similar to what i have i have the older version of it,had it since 1994/5 used it in -13 on brecon one winter.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Thnx for recommendations guys, I've no doubt they are excellent bags but the Snugpack/Ray Mears are way too heavy for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something around 600g-1.5kg max that compacts well.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    the ray mears one seems to be about as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by biker-bri View Post
    Have you seen this one, good reviews. http://www.heinnie.com/Sleeping-Bags...-518-519-4565/
    No connection whatsoever with shop or owners etc.
    Neither of which are down bags , which is what the OP is after!
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Quote Originally Posted by ADz_1983 View Post
    Thnx for recommendations guys, I've no doubt they are excellent bags but the Snugpack/Ray Mears are way too heavy for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something around 600g-1.5kg max that compacts well.
    You've got to really look at down to get the bulk and weight down, obviously the better the bag the more expensive they become, I'd always say spend as much as possible on a down bag as long as it's the right spec for the season you're using it in.
    I have the Pipedream 400 and 600 from Alpkit which are both great bags, when you compare specs with all the manufacturers it's hard to beat Alpkit for value, their stock system is rubbish though so you have to be ready to buy when they get their shipments in, I heard they were starting UK production soon but I don't know how far away that is still.
    PHD are another one to look at, I have their Minim 300 which I used on the TGO in temps from -5 to +12. I don't know how they do it but their bags really do loft well and pack down tiny, they have a sale on at the moment so worth having a look.

Another option is to go for a top end synthetic, the Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina bags are fantastic, I have the 0*F model which I picked up on ebay for £103, used once and mint condition. Although it's not super light at 1.5kg it does pack down really well and will easy keep you warm in the worst UK conditions.

Thnx for reply bud. I looked at the Pipedream a while back but off top of head I think I discounted them because of compression size, Will have a look again. I haven't seen the others you mentioned so will take a good look into them, thanks.

The one I have been thinking about mostly so far is the Mountain Equipment Xero range, mainly the 250 as it packs down really well, its really light and has a comfort of 4°C which should be ok for UK especially with a liner.

Thanks again for the recommendations

[EDIT] Nabbed myself a brand new Mountain Equipment Xero 350 (Without stuff sack) for £175 (RRP £280)
    Last edited by ADz; 27-10-2012 at 05:19 PM.