Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: I'd like you're thoughts on the "hunters are evil" mob.

+2!!

I have no problem with hunting. But i find trophy hunting illogical. You see, trophy hunters will take the largest and strongest quarry they can find. Thus weakening the gene pool for future generations, ruling out natural selection, and basically fecking up the natural order of things. Its pointless. I don't agree with killing for fun or sport, unless on an organised shoot. Where the only reason the animals are there is because they have been bred and raised by people to do just that, thus the population is higher than it should be. I worked on a pheasant shooting estate for a few months a few years back and this is how it was then.

I'm a food on the table type of hunter and i only hunt with an air rifle. So i only shoot vermin species that have a high capacity for reproduction so numbers are not effected. I don't shoot much these days. I'm a live and let live kinda guy.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    I do not understand people who are meat eaters and will happily buy plastic wrapped sterile meat from Tesco, but are totally against hunters shooting for food, or home steaders rearing their own meat. Are they that ignorant that they do not know where their chicken came from, that the chicken probably never saw the sun and never tasted grass and the only thing it had to scratch was sawdust and all the other birds mess.
    If that person complaining is vegan or vegetarian, then they have a point of view and I respect that, as I hope they respect my point of view.
    I would love that every meat eater would have to go through the whole process of killing and prep, to table. What an eye opener that would be eh.
    I bet there are many people out there that do not even know where milk or eggs come from.
    Last edited by Adam Savage; 13-12-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Unfortunately that is all too often the case Jonny. My kids know exactly where there food comes from but then when you have a father that drives along, sees a lamb jumping in the fields, and says 'thats going to make a lovely roast dinner one day' then they can't help but get educated on the matter.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Unfortunately that is all too often the case Jonny. My kids know exactly where there food comes from but then when you have a father that drives along, sees a lamb jumping in the fields, and says 'thats going to make a lovely roast dinner one day' then they can't help but get educated on the matter.
    I bet you shout "mint sauce" at them too Justin, don't you..

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    funny that I bet most of us on here do the same. At the rare breeds farm in Totnes with the kids last weeks as they were fussing the lambs I was explaining where the different cuts come from lol
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish111 View Post
    funny that I bet most of us on here do the same. At the rare breeds farm in Totnes with the kids last weeks as they were fussing the lambs I was explaining where the different cuts come from lol
    Spot on RF. A few years ago, my neighbouring allotment holder had hens for laying, as they ran to us to get bits of grass poked through the wire my youngest would shout at them, Chicken Nuggets!

Al
    ...the silence only broken by the hooting of a very gifted bat!

Bloggage: http://campingonthewildside.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by KaiTheIronHound View Post
    I find quite frequently that i run into abuse for being barbaric, or for killing for food when i can just go to a store.
    I find that attitude ridiculous; the animal died for food whether you killed it or it was killed in an abatoir. In my experience most hunters are way more responsible and respectful in the way they treat their quarry than the average meat processing plant (and I've worked in several - not my favourite jobs!). I think many of the protesters would have a much more complete view of the world if they were a little closer to the food they eat than the tin can or plastic packet many are used to these days.

Trophy hunting is a whole different ball game, but hunting for food or for responsible wildlife management is not a problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I believe they are armed with glocks in 9mm and a variety of rifles and shotguns.

This is a picture from their website showing them at shooting practice.

I see they're having a bit of fun .
    It's good to know they are able to defend themselves.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin