Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A search for a fun guy (fungi).

i lesson learned.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Little bit scary that it could be that easy to poison one's self
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dann View Post
    Fish,

There's not many edible fungi that are so easy it is impossible to get them wrong. You got Jew's Ear wrong. I've seen people get COTW wrong, and apparently it is even possible to get a penny bun wrong - and badly.

I think parasols and shaggy parasols can probably only be mixed up with each other, the same applies to hedgehogs and terracotta hedghogs, and you can't really get a giant puffball or shaggy inkcap wrong. Apart from that, there's no such thing as easy.

Geoff
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

knocked my confidence a bit.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Chaps - any idea what this is?

It was on a fallen silver birch in the New Forest this weekend. I wondered if it was edible ~ out of curiosity only you understand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121202_123725.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	6080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121202_123745.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	6081

I used to work with a chap who was very knowledgable about fungi. He (after consultation) quashed my father's "rule" that if you can peel the skin of fungi from the rim to the crown in one go it is edible. I suspect the reverese is true (that if it won't peel in one go, it's definately going to harm you)!

M@
    Last edited by Ehecatl; 03-12-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Birch polypores cant really see because I'm viewing on my phone. Dont eat fungi if you cant positively identify it, just not worth the risk.
    [

Yep. Definately Birch Polypore. Not really edible. But it does have a ton of other uses such as plasters, tinder, knife sharpening etc etc

Ade

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    knocked my confidence a bit.
    It is better to have your confidence knocked a bit than being a bit over-confident when the game is foraging for wild fungi.

The problem with fungi is that there are SO many of them. The species you got mixed up with Jew's Ear is just one of countless species you might have got mixed up with Jew's Ear, some of which won't be in any of your reference books. That means you've got to be uber-careful when you are collecting something self-identified for the first time. If it looks a lot like something you were hoping to find, but not quite, then it is probably something else.

The best way to avoid ending up dead is to make absolutely certain you know all of the seriously poisonous species (of which there aren't actually that many.) They fall into the following genera: Amanita, Cortinarius, Clitocybe, Lepiota, Inocybe, Galerina. It is pretty hard to kill yourself if you know what these look like and avoid them.

I was about to say the same thing - that IS NOT Jew's Ear!
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/