Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fungi & foraging books

Hobo

Fungi & foraging books

I'm new to bushcraft but eager, got thegeneral hang of plat and tree recognition but now i'd like to try foraging. Can anyone recomend good beginner books for the UK? Ideally ones that can be taken into the field without adding too much bulk to the pack.

I've done a bit of research Ive found:

Food for Free by Richard Mabey and very handily there's a Collins Gem pocket version by the same auther
    and
    Mushrooms and Other Fungi of Great Britain and Europe by Roger Phillips and Collins Gem - Mushrooms by Patrick Harding

are these good ones? are there better out there?
    Also, are there any books organised by seasons rather than breed/type?

Thanks all just for reading,

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    All those are good.. Also look at Wild food by Roger Phillips and Wild Food by Ray Mears and Roger Hillman. There are plenty of others out there, but those are my fav (including the ones you mentioned).

To the smokinJoe I think most of us on here have and use the collins gem Food for free,so you'r heading on the right trail...............Dont get eaten by the bears...........TONY.

Hobo
    Cheers guys, I'll start with the Gems and then get the big boy books.......

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The BEST book in my honest opinion is "Easy edible fungi" by Prof David Pegler.

I have been a very enthusiastic amateur fungi geek for 20 years and this book is my "go to" bible.

All the best

Ade.

I've got the Encyclopedia of Fungi of britain and Europe by Michael Jordan (available on Amazon). Definitely not a pocket book.
    Mark 8:36

Hobo
    Ade, found the book on amazon - for 800 of your finest english pounds. I'm not a cheap skate but thats a bit much for me as a starter book, it does look very good though. Cheers

It is a great book, there must be others listed somewhere a lot lot cheaper, I never paid anything like that for mine, more like £8 !

This isn't the one Ade was on about, but its at a good price and by the same author

DAVID PEGLER Field Guide Mushrooms Toadstools Europe COLOUR ILLUSTRATED VGC it's on e bay at £6 could be worth it till the easy guide turns up !

You can get some really good books on Amazon for dirt cheap prices, I've had a few wild flower key books and a few others for 01p plus £2 postage, also check out charity shops, good luck with Book hunting it can get addictive lol ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	5705

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	5706

Dave
    Last edited by Basha72; 23-10-2012 at 09:46 PM.