Thread: Any Tips for Gaining Permission

Alone in the Wilderness

Any Tips for Gaining Permission

I was wondering if anyone can offer some tips on approaching land owners for permission to hunt on their land.

I find the whole process confusing. Do you just walk up to their property and knock their door? What do you ask, is "Can I hunt on your land?" all that's expected?

Any tips would be really helpful.

Nate

That method can work if you're prepared to do a lot of leg work but there are other methods such as posting up an ad in the local village post office/pub, speaking to regional farmers' associations or even putting a classified in a nation farming paper such as the Farmers Guardian:

http://www.farmersguardian.com/Class...12&txtKeyword=

...it will make your efforts a lot easier if you join the BASC and get their insurance:

http://www.basc.org.uk/

and, in particular:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/join/basc-...-insurance.cfm

Hope this helps

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

...nearly forgot, see if you want to join a club in your area, as you'll get lots of info on permissions, meets, etc.:

http://www.kwacs.org.uk/Airgunning.htm#ENGLAND

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Alone in the Wilderness
    That's some really helpful information, thanks Steve.

I had no idea you could place adverts.

Permission to hunt would certainly make my bushcraft excursions a little more enjoyable (not having to take my own meat with me) and add a more natural variety to my diet.

if you know of farm which looks like it has problems with rabbits/woodpigeons/squirrels then knock on the famrers door wearing smart/casual clothes and do not have oyur gun with you. be very polite, and offer your pest control as a service as in "i was wondering if you needed any help with pest species on you land" and not "can i shoot on your land" get basc insurance and make it very clear that you have insurance as he will be far more willing to let you shoot if you are insured. i assume your using an airgun?
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Knowledge is key!

Go knowing the farmers/landowners name (looking the farm name up on yell.co.uk is quite good to find information)

Try and find out what crops they grow (this will also tell you what you can expect to find)

Know the rough size of the farm

Farmers have a very busy scedule so avoid turning up a a busy time for them (milking time)

Find out if there is a gamekeeper as he will have a large say in all the shooting in that area

Hope these tips help!

While not specific to getting permission for hunting you might offer to help keep the land clean and tidy by picking up any rubbish you see as you go. I have used this with 2 farmers who’s land I use for camping and I think it shows some care and consideration for the countryside.
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

If there's a local shoot contact the keeper, ask if you can go beating. Gain his trust, ask if you can help on the rearing field, especially around release time. It all helps.
    As they say knowledge is everything and if you can show you have knowledge, respect and understanding of the countryside, doors just might open.

Ive returned to airgun hunting after a break to raise some sprogs. upon my return all the farms i used to have permission on have changed hands so ive had to start again. Ive got some business cards printed up and also set up a free website. Ive written to a lot of farms in my area and had good success. I always include a copy of my insurance and a SAE along with a couple of cards and a link to my website. Rekon setting up the website was a good move. Im a complete computer novice but had it done in less than an hour
    Last edited by ANGOF; 18-01-2011 at 11:11 PM.