Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for your Tatonka or Trangia alchohol stove burners

Tips for your Tatonka or Trangia alchohol stove burners

If you have a Tatonka or a Trangia then here's a few tips that might help you get a bit more out of your stove.

1. Get more heat out it - by using a wick sitting inside the burner well (see the images below of my Tatonka) you can get a faster cook time. The larger flame in the first image is using the wick which produces a bigger flame if you need more heat or a faster cook.
    With the wick I use, which is made from carbon cloth so it does not burn away, I can boil 1 pint of water in a Stainless Steel caddie in 10 mins vs. 16 minutes without the wick. The wick is next to the burner in the 3rd image.
    Yes it uses fuel faster but it gives you additional versatility when you need it. More applicable to cooking than boiling water but the comparison acts as an illustration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0226.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0225.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0227.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	972

2. Get a better grip on the cap - Wrap a couple of elastic bands around the outside of the cap to give you a better grip when twisting the lid on or off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0229.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	973

3. Leaky cap/seal ? - got a leaky cap, try making an 'O' ring with a piece of small diameter bungee cord and pop that in the top of the cap first and then sit the proper seal on top of that. it brings the seal closer to the burner ring and helps produce a better seal.

4. Ease a sticking cap - my Tatonka has a 'gritty' feel when tightening up the cap so I put some Vaseline on the thread on the INSIDE of the cap. Don't put it on the outside of the threads on the burner, it will burn off first time you use it.

Happy cooking.... Paul
    Last edited by paul standley; 30-03-2011 at 08:49 PM.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

2. inner tube!

Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    2. inner tube!
    Ah yes, good old bicycle inner tube. I found an old tube up the lane today, (as you do) i'll be cutting into various widths tomorrow...
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Great tips! Thanks! Will try out that wick idea

I got my Tatonka delivered yesterday so thanks for the tips, cap on my one feels a bit gritty too so will give the Vaseline idea a bash.

Haven't used it yet but seems like a cracking little stove, only cost me bout £12 with the flame adjuster thing as well.

Made a Hobo stove based on the Justin has in his video and sits in the snug, will hopefully be out at the weekend to test it out

https://picasaweb.google.com/1077617...89952422965058

https://picasaweb.google.com/1077617...90209549638418

Also interested to know what you guys think about storing the fuel in the stove. I know it's designed to do this but something about the idea of having the fuel in it doesn't appeal to me, has anybody had problems or do you find that it is 100% waterproof

I used a Trangia for about 20 years until I lost it about 6 years ago, always kept the fuel in it and it never leaked and I never had any trouble with it. Over the last 6 years I've used and broken a few expensive stoves but have now gone back to the Trangia.

Quote Originally Posted by ether View Post
    has anybody had problems or do you find that it is 100% waterproof
    I've got the Tatonka. Mine's 100% leak proof, but I'd recommend replacing the 'O' ring every 3 years or so (purely from an engineering POV!).

Steve

cheers for the input guys. Sorry TS didn't mean to hijack the thread

One tip i have for any meth stoves is keep your meths in your tent (if camping) or just keep it well insulated so it dosn't get to cold overnight. That way when you try and use it first to make your first cup of coffee in the morning it lights easily from a spark. Had cold meths once and it took me ages to get it lit.
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Great tips thanks Paul.

Is it true that if you add 10% water to your meths it will stop it from sooting the pans?