Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hand sanitiser.

hand sanitiser.

was just playing about and found it dont half burn well for a long time and kicks out a lot of heat,anyone use it for cooking on?
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Not as such mate but have used it to get a fire going once o twice .

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

I suppose it's similar to that chaffing dish stuff..... Burnt it for firelighting, or priming the coleman , but not actually cooked with it...... Yet
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

Haven't cooked with it, but my nephew went through a whole bottle on a hiking trip when he was playing "Will it Burn?" in the fire pit. He went through most of his first aid kit too...

I have lit it with a spark, though.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I suppose it works the same as Alcohol Jelly? We used that as an alternative to Hexy Burners
    in our unit, cooked with that & used in firelighting extreme conditions. If it burns as well as you say
    shouldn't be a problem as the Alcohol Jelly didn't taint the taste of the food cooked or give
    off any smoke just a nice warm blue glow & heat. Use with care using such likes the
    Alcohol Jelly very nasty burns inflicted if such comes into contact with the skin.
    Regards
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    was just playing about and found it dont half burn well for a
    long time and kicks out a lot of heat,anyone use it for cooking on?

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    was just playing about and found it dont half burn well for a long time and kicks out a lot of heat,anyone use it for cooking on?
    used it for starting, suppose half a bottle prob boil cup of water it does burn long!
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Hi fish, I've used it to prime my pop-can stove, but to be honest I prefere to use as intended, as when out with the dogs, I use it after cleanig up mess.... with three mutts I go through quite alot (LOL)... p.s really love your scrimshaw,

Trapper
    Kind of off topic but my brother worked in the prison service helping to rehabilitate drug offenders and told me they had murder with inmates pinching sanitiser gel and mixing it with orange cordial or whatever to drink. Seems it is just alcohol in a base which makes it thicken up.

I too have used it for priming, but no idea what the soot levels would be like for more prolonged use.

I got one of those Crusader Cookers a while back, which you can use with hexi blocks and gel fuel.

I don't use it much (as it is a bit rubbish IMO) but I used up the gel fuel that came with it very quickly.

I saw a vid on YouTube where some bloke used hand sanitiser with the cooker and thought 'I'll have to give that a go' toddled off to Bushcraftland and picked up a pack of three 100ml bottles for one British pound (I also picked up a 20 x kleenex hand/bum towels on the same outing, which was handy).

Haven't got around to trying it yet as I'm an unreconstructed meths head, but if I think on I'll see how much sanitiser is needed to boil a brew's worth of water and how long it takes.

I might even take a picture.
    Ansum La

The missus works for the NHS (works LOL) and they had the same problem with the local alcoholic population nicking it off the wards (they use 500ml bottles), so now they have smaller personal bottles ( and she still comes home lashed )....