Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Birch Bark Knife Sheaths

Very nice craftsmanship.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Just a quick update as you all asked me to keep you informed.

The Bark is holding up a treat, it has taken a major battering over the winter and has required no repairs or tweaks, still grips like mad. Just given it all a quick oiling again today, first time since I made them.

But good to hear how you are getting on with yours Ash?

So with spring on its way its time to start mocking up the pack in card, ready for giving it a go when I can get hold of some good bark strips.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    ...But good to hear how you are getting on with yours Ash?

So with spring on its way its time to start mocking up the pack in card, ready for giving it a go when I can get hold of some good bark strips.
    It's holding up well thank you Mike, no complaints or repairs needed ... The Mora Carving knife isn't my primary knife so it's by no means getting the beating that my primary sheath would be but it is often in my rucksack up against various things, comes out with me more often then not. It has really impressed me in terms of durability and staying together.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Thanks for that Mike. I am defo going to have a shot at that. It's just such cleverness that got me wanting to make the transition from camper to 'crafter. Glad to learn these sheaths are durable too. Top stuff. And thanks to Okcrafter too. Brilliant vid.

Hobo
    I really want to make one of these as have birch forests round here but does anyone have an idiots guide... it looks pretty straight forward but it's the finishing (no glue or string) that is puzzling me.
    Any help would be appreciated?
    Happy Hunting

Fuutpad

Fuutpad,

If the wraps are made tight enough, the final tuck at the top of the sheath is sufficient to hold the whole thing together, the whole thing pulls tighter when the knife is inserted and friction holds it all in place. If you are a little concerned about it coming undone then a little pitch glue added to the tip of the final wrap will do the trick, however I have never seen any need to do so.

The link on the first page should give you everything you need to know about making these.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Just thought I'd revive this thread for the benefit of Phil(Freedom) and Ade who I met at Tamarack today, and whom both showed and interest in them. Link for instructions is on the first post in the thread.

Thanks for this mike. Think I'm gonna have to give this one a go.

Ade.

Thats just amazing. I may try something like that for my Mora 120. The sheath for that is so narrow the knife won't really go into it...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hi folks,

Giving this a bump again for the benefit of Danny and Ade, who I again saw at Tamarack. Thanks again Ade for the forging walk, the kids loved it.

Mike