Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Birch Bark Knife Sheaths

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    The thickness varies over here, usually depending on what type of birch it is - Grey Birch and Sweet Birch generally have the thickest bark. You mean a pack basket? I've seen a few of those, but constructed of ash splints instead of birch bark.
    Sort of like the adriondack packs, but more rucksack shaped than you expect:-)

check this thread from a while back:-

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...bark+back+pack
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

For Suggy's (of Northern Soul Bushcrafters) benefit, I though I'd put together a quick pictorial of making the Birch bark neck sheath.

So on with Part 1....

1.) Find a decent failry straight and if possible lenticle free piece of Birch (Dead fallen is preferable as we don't want to damage live trees!) - a few lenticles (the little black eyes) are o.k. but with UK birch the bark is that thin, it is these that generally cause weak spots. Those in the US or Northern Europe\Scandinavia are quite lucky that the bark is that thick below them that it doesn't matter so much.

2.) Harvest the bark by cutting a spiral around the log, the width of the spiral needs to be at least 2.5 x width of the object that you wish to create the sheath for and 4 to 4.5 x length of blade\item. Use a branch or wooded mallet to tap and loosen the bark along the full length of the spiral. Starting at one end slowly peel the spiral of the log (if you find the bark is still firmly attached to the log poor hot water behind the bark and use a blunted stick as a spud to ease it off.) Take care over any lenticles and if necessary give it another few taps with the mallet to help loosen it.

3.) Construction of Sheath. You will need:-

Bark Strip - min. 4x length and 2.5 times width of item to sheath.
    Scissors or sharp knife.
    Bowl of Hot water.
    Cordage for necklace.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Part 2...

First measure and trim the bark.

The bark needs to be twice the width of the thickest part of the item to be sheathed. This should leave a long strip to use to make the bindings.

Place all the bark in a bowl of warm water to make it more pliable.

Fold the ends of the sheath in to meet in the middle, with the outer bark on the inside.

Fold in half so that you end up with the basic sheath shape. The inner bark face should form the outer surface of the sheath with double thick walls.

Part 3...

Taking a long strip of the binding material (approx
    0.5cm thick) tuck one end between the two walls of the back of the sheath.

Using the working end, wrap all the way around the front and back of the sheath. Keep the wraps tight.

Tuck the working end between the two walls of the front of the sheath. Again ensure the wraps are tight

Continue to wrap in this fashion, alternating tucks between the front and rear walls and keeping the wraps tight.

Part 4...

If you need to add a new binding strip in. Add it where you have completed a tuck so that it over laps the tuck completely. Trim off any excess.

At the top complete a full wrap around the front of the sheath and trim the working end to a point long enough to complete one final tuck through the back wall.

Add the neck cord and the sheath is complete. Leave it to dry before use. And lighlty oil occasionally to keep it looking clean.

I like reviving useful old threads. So this thread started back in 2010. When I first made these. So nearly 7 years on and only oiling them once a year they are still going strong.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

These are looking really good, Its amazing how well they've held up. What do you oil them with?

Veg based oil. Normally rapeseed or light virgin olive oil.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    These look superb ...
    Still on my to-do list .
    Thanks for sharing and bringing it back to the top.
    I bet there's loads of really good threads from years ago , that are just buried in the depths of this forum and in the fading memories of the folk here.

With a few old faces returning here hopefully we'll see a resurgence of some of these ...
    Last edited by Woody; 09-07-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Yeah, quite a knowledge Base here. I need to have a go at birch bark sheaths. This thread has definitely inspired me to get on the case.