Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some Mushrooms That Need ID'ing

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again and again. Anyone who relies on the word of a stranger on the internet, for identification of a mushroom that they intend to eat, must be stark staring mad!!! Hell, even I have been tempted to offer my opinion of what an example could be and I know absolutely nothing about fungi whatsoever (and I got it badly wrong!).

There are plenty of people who are well intentioned and there are even a few who know what they are talking about. The question is, how do you know who is who, or perhaps 'You've got to ask yourself one question... 'Do I feel lucky...well, do ya?'. I know my answer to that.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I won't eat something unless i am sure beyond any doubt myself what I'm eating. I have not asked for these to be ID'd because i plan on eating them this time. It's just to add to a general understanding of what might be edible and what isn't (and fungai in general. I am interested to know what they are regardless of wether i think they will be edible or not), and to find out if i was right or not. If i am right then that's a good step forward but it doesn't mean I'll will eat what I've found. If it wasn't for the fact that i don't own a camera (aside from a webcam) i would just take photo's in-situ as I would rather not uproot mushrooms unnecessarily.
    Last edited by _Matt_; 14-10-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Matt_ View Post
    I won't eat something unless i am sure beyond any doubt myself what I'm eating. I have not asked for these to be ID'd because i plan on eating them this time. It's just to add to a general understanding of what might be edible and what isn't (and fungai in general. I am interested to know what they are regardless of wether i think they will be edible or not), and to find out if i was right or not. If i am right then that's a good step forward but it doesn't mean I'll will eat what I've found. If it wasn't for the fact that i don't own a camera (aside from a webcam) i would just take photo's in-situ as I would rather not uproot mushrooms unnecessarily.
    I'm glad to hear it. I trust that others will assume your common sense approach to this but I'm afraid that common sense just isn't very common.

So, to anyone who feels inclined to go collecting edible fungi on the strength of what they have read on here, I would strongly suggest that you think long and hard about who is offering the advice and how much you should trust someone off the internet.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again and again. Anyone who relies on the word of a stranger on the internet, for identification of a mushroom that they intend to eat, must be stark staring mad!!!
    Likewise.....I like to ask to either confirm my identification or just to bring in a fresh pair of eyes and a different perspective and maybe 30 odd years combined experience. I'll never eat wild fungi UNLESS I have a 100% PID
    [

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by _Matt_ View Post
    The colour is better on this. Took the stem off to make a spore print, which is white. Gills extremely brittle. While i said purple before the colour is far more pink, but with a purple/black ring.
    Hi Matt,

That's still a no-hoper for an attempt at a russula ID. The colours are better, but there's still something not quite right, and the exact colour of a russula is very important. You also need to see the stem colour (is it white, or off-white?). Also you need to note:

where was it growing and what else was there?
    what do the gills taste like (hot? acrid? mild?)
    how much does that cap peel from the edge without breaking?

Then you might stand a chance.

Russulas are HARD.

Geoff
    Last edited by Geoff Dann; 14-10-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again and again. Anyone who relies on the word of a stranger on the internet, for identification of a mushroom that they intend to eat, must be stark staring mad!!! Hell, even I have been tempted to offer my opinion of what an example could be and I know absolutely nothing about fungi whatsoever (and I got it badly wrong!).

There are plenty of people who are well intentioned and there are even a few who know what they are talking about. The question is, how do you know who is who, or perhaps 'You've got to ask yourself one question... 'Do I feel lucky...well, do ya?'. I know my answer to that.

Martin
    Hi Martin,

Relying on identifications from the internet is very dodgy, for sure. Part of the problem is that pictures can be misleading, as in this case. That first photo of the russula looked more like a tawny grisette to me, or one of the orange/brown milkcaps. The other is that you usually don't have any idea who you are talking to.

My job is teaching people about fungi and foraging. It's my job to get this right. Or at least not get it wrong...

http://www.wibberley.org/fungiforaging/fungiindex.htm

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dann View Post
    Russulas are HARD.
    I feel better for getting my ID wrong then I couldnt accept it was a Yellow Russula because it was growing in the wrong place so my brain made me tell me it was something else, a bit like lost people who make the features fit the map when they are hopelessly lost...
    [

I thought i had mentioned that it was growing with birch, but it seems i forgot. Stem is the same colour as the gills, very white, and plain. It has no volva.
    how much does that cap peel from the edge without breaking?
    About half a centimeter or so. And all the time the gills are crumbling away in my hand.
    Last edited by _Matt_; 14-10-2012 at 11:20 PM.

For further clarification, the entire mushroom looks superficially exactly like the second from the bottom and in the middle pic here (apart from mine being pinker): http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/Media...CEC303343C.jpg
    Last edited by _Matt_; 14-10-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dann View Post
    Hi Martin,

Relying on identifications from the internet is very dodgy, for sure. Part of the problem is that pictures can be misleading, as in this case. That first photo of the russula looked more like a tawny grisette to me, or one of the orange/brown milkcaps. The other is that you usually don't have any idea who you are talking to.

My job is teaching people about fungi and foraging. It's my job to get this right. Or at least not get it wrong...

http://www.wibberley.org/fungiforaging/fungiindex.htm

Geoff
    Hi Geoff, I can assure you that I'm not belittling your expertise or your ability. On the other hand, we only have your word for both and you could be some nutter who gets a kick out of giving dangerous advice to unsuspecting individuals.

Of course, I'm entirely playing devils advocate here but you can understand my point, I hope. I just hope that no one gets this badly wrong.

I really hope that no one takes offence here as none is intended whatsoever. Just please, please, please stay safe where this stuff is concerned.

Martin