Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good year for the wood munchers

Trapper

Good year for the wood munchers

It's a pretty bad year for most of the ground-fruiting fungi, especially the boletes. But the wood-munchers are doing fine. I found this lot a couple of days ago, and was so pleased I actually took my first ever video and made my first ever youtube upload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtuuaFzc1qM

As you can see, I'm not much of a film-maker! I'm a bit of a technology-phobe. These had to be filmed though, because I couldn't get them all in one photo.
    Last edited by Geoff Dann; 13-10-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Could feed a family for a week with those! It's funny actually because in some places i am lucky to find any mushrooms at all, yet in others they are everywhere. I've no idea why that is, and it is down to my lack of understanding on the subject. The habitats aren't necessary different either. I went to some pine plantations the other day and the only mushroom i saw were some yellow russula's here and there but otherwise nothing. That is the place i would have expected to find a lot of different things.

Wow, that's a very impressive haul there buddy.

PLEASE tell me you collected some to eat.

Ade.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    Wow, that's a very impressive haul there buddy.

PLEASE tell me you collected some to eat.

Ade.
    Yep. I also took some of them to show some people at a mushroom talk in Chelsea, but they were kind of eclipsed by the beefsteak fungus I found a bit later. The dryad's saddle's win the eye-candy prize though. They are impressive mushrooms, even when there's only a couple of them.

Some of those are a bit too big to eat (unless you throw most of it away except the edge), but the small ones were juicy.
    Last edited by Geoff Dann; 13-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by _Matt_ View Post
    I went to some pine plantations the other day and the only mushroom i saw were some yellow russula's here and there but otherwise nothing. That is the place i would have expected to find a lot of different things.
    Yellow russulas all over the place. I spent quite a lot of time in pine woods today, and most of it was pretty sparse. Then we found an enormous cauliflower fungus.
    Last edited by Geoff Dann; 13-10-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by _Matt_ View Post
    Could feed a family for a week with those! It's funny actually because in some places i am lucky to find any mushrooms at all, yet in others they are everywhere. I've no idea why that is, and it is down to my lack of understanding on the subject.
    I have no idea why it is either, and I know a bit about fungi. There's quite a lot about fungi and their habits that nobody understands, because the science has never been done, because there's no money in it.

Trapper
    It didn't stop there either. See the Dryad's Saddles in the background.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pyriforme.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	5622

Wanderer
    what did you do with the dryads saddle & and the beefsteak? did you also take some stump puffballs?

we had a day off on sunday and went for a walk in the forest of dean

most useful find was ameyst deceiver's which made a colourful salad cooked in olive oil with origano (the only ones we took)

one maggot infested bolete (only the 2nd one I have seen this season) two maggot infested parosol's, a common puff ball just on the turn. Oak milkcap (guess's where that was growing?), honey fungus, yellow russala's & jews ear so bar the all the purple deceivers poor really!

going to make the effort today whilst doing my sales job, to get some sea greens from by the old severn bridge

and I was told I was weird last week for collecting wallnuts by a girl on a horse, because I guess they normally grow in supermarkets
    Last edited by twosmokeforever; 01-11-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by twosmokeforever View Post
    what did you do with the dryads saddle & and the beefsteak? did you also take some stump puffballs?
    I took them to an evening talk at the Bluebird in Chelsea and cooked some up for people to try. They were impressed with the beefsteak, which was very fresh and juicy.

Day trip to the New Forest today...

Wanderer
    the new forest is the holyland, shrooms out the forest, sea fishing, shellfish and marsh sampfire from the mudflats by the castle a few miles round from mudeford

glamping holiday booked for the week before august bank holiday, the tides times seem good to launch our little speed, crab, fishing, boat from mudeford

have you do anything with pine nuts?