Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some Mushrooms That Need ID'ing

Some Mushrooms That Need ID'ing

Okay i have various mushrooms here that need ID'ing. First is what i believe to be a Shaggy Ink Cap, and then a Shaggy Parasol (correct me if I'm wrong in all cases!). Growing in a ditch at the side of a path (through woodland). The Ink Cap was growing elsewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	5591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 11.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	5592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 12.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	5593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 13.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	5594  
    Last edited by _Matt_; 12-10-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Laccaria amethystina? Growing in great abundance under several oak trees. The webcam doesn't really show the colour very well, but it's a dark purply colour. There is also a pic of a smaller specimen there. The bigger one is larger than average (of what's there at the moment) and the smaller ones don't have wavy caps like that.

Name:	Picture 16.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	5596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 17.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	5597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 15.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	5598  
    Last edited by _Matt_; 12-10-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Some kind of milkcap? Growing under Oak.

Name:	Picture 19.jpg 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	5599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 20.jpg 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	5600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 18.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	5601  

A bolete i assume. Again growing under oak. Very well camouflaged! They kind of look like a dead leaf from above (which also describes its colour better).

Name:	Picture 23.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	5603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 21.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	5604  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Spore prints to follow (hopefully).

First one is a Shaggy Ink cap, edible but caution as there are reports of some folk having an allergic reaction to it with associated stomach cramps and sickness.

Second is an Amethyst Deceiver. Edible and tasty. Have a look on my Youtube channel as I have just done a video of it.

Third does look like a member of the Lactarius family. Spore sprint info would confirm.

Fourth is a Boletus for sure. Can't see I too clearly as I'm having to use t'internet on my phone but does look a little like the Red Cracking Boletus.

All the best
    Ade.

Good stuff regarding the youtube vid. It's convinient that you also happened to have done one on the yellow russula's as i recently saw them growing under pines (pretty much the only thing growing actually) and found out about them. They really do live up to their name as well, as all apart from about one of them that I've ever seen have been broken and many of them are just remnants on the floor. Also good to know the Amethyst Deceivers are edible as the floor is carpeted with them under a few oak trees. So many that it's impossible to not tread on them by mistake.
    Last edited by _Matt_; 12-10-2012 at 08:50 PM.

It's the same here buddy. We could have collected several thousand here without even trying.

Ade.

Ok the only spore print that actually worked was the bolete one, which was a greeny colour.

Edit: Upon browsing the various kinds of bolete types, the closest I've found seems to be Boletus illudens. It's the only one that seems to have the right kind of stem (tapered). This picture is very similar to the one i have: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ens_261343.jpg Probably only superficially similar though.
    Last edited by _Matt_; 13-10-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Matt_ View Post
    Ok the only spore print that actually worked was the bolete one, which was a greeny colour.

Edit: Upon browsing the various kinds of bolete types, the closest I've found seems to beBoletus illudens. It's the only one that seems to have the right kind of stem (tapered). This picture is very similar to the one i have: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ens_261343.jpg Probably only superficially similar though.
    Hi Matt

It is possible but it would be a bit of a rarity as Boletus illudens is only really predominantly found in North America.

This is the fun part of fungi collecting, I've spent many hours pulling my hair out (that explains why in bald!!) trying to nail down a definitive identification of various shrooms. Lol

Ade