Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: NaturalBushcraft Autumn Meet - 27th-29th Oct 2012

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up

Looks like it's going to be nice and sunny but remember to bring plenty of warm clothes as there is a Northerly arctic wind which will bring the coldest weather we've seen so far this Autumn.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Got up and let the hounds out this morning and instantly thought of you lads, so took a look at the inside-outside digi thermometer.
    20° inside, 1.7° outside! Hell knows what it was at 3am.

Would love to be there with you all. I love testing my kit to the limits.

Remember! Layer layers layers people!!!!! (and a hot water bottle )

Hope you have a wonderful time.
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Tis a lovely evening down here at Ladock. Just had a cracking rabbit and pigeon stew. Not too bad around the fire but you know we're in for a cold night.

Have a great time lads
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Thanks guys for organising this one, and providing us with a yummy stew. Good to catch up with you all and meet new friends :0)
    I am really flagging now..

A big thx to Ash et al for a brilliant time. A special thx to Scott for teaching Chey to shoot. It was great to see you all again and look forward to more regular meets.

Thanks to everybody for making our stay a brilliant experience for our first time out on a forum meet. It was great to put names to faces for the first time and I hope that Brad and I will be made welcome again in the future. Special thanks go to mine hosts Ash, Phil and whoever else organised the event, it really was top class and even though we didn't stay for the whole camp, we both came away having learnt a lot,filling our heads with priceless info which will make our camps much more comfortable in the future.. Thanks also go to Ashley's father who helped me down with our kit strapped to a golf trolly to save my back !!, and to Scott who gave Brad his first shooting lesson and for his impromptu entertainment around the fire after a few lemonade shandies.

With us both very new to this bushcraft lark I in particular was amazed at the workmanship of the handmade knives that were passed around to look at. Every time I was passed a different knife the words wow and amazing came out several times due to the fact that I have never seen homemade knives before with such quality, especially the one made by forum member Bernie out of an old file which you could have shaved with and took the hairs off my arm with the slightest glance.

Now its time to talk about Fish. Well what can I say other than he was one of the most friendly, likeable, knowledgeable and generous guys I have ever met in my life. I spent a while talking to him and wish I had more time to carry on. This guy has a completely different outlook on life compared to me and is bursting at the seams with knowledge, and I should say he has forgot more in life than I have ever learnt. I hope that after our meeting he would consider me a friend for life because he is one hell of a guy and it would be a privilege for him to say so. On a more personal note my boy Brad would also like to thank him for the gift he gave him as we left camp.We had said our goodbyes when Fish called him back and said that he had a little something for him. He reached into his bag and pulled out one of his handmade catapults and placed it in his hands. All the way home Brad talked about nothing but Fish and the catapult and also left him with a big smile and a long lasting impression of 'The Big Man'.

Before I forget, sometime during the night most of the camp were woken by what Ashley described as 'the sound of somebody been attacked by an axe murderer'. Apparently it was that loud that he could hear it even though he was listening to music through his headphones. I don't know much about this because I was asleep, so no doubt others will fill you all in once they get home.

Finally all I want to say is, if you haven't yet been on a Natural Bushcraft meet before, do it, its a great experience and you really do meet some friendly like minded people from all walks of life. Even though Brad was tired, he didn't want to leave camp and when we arrived home he was straight outside in the back garden with his new catapult aiming at cans.

Thanks everybody, we had a great time.

Splendid to see you all again and to meet new people. Will someone grab my chair please x
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Beautiful write up Chubbs
    It sounds like a fantastic time and Im looking forward to seeing some photos .
    Im well happy for yer son and his new Catapult. Fish's Slingshots are known the world over and they are second to none in my book. (Ihave one too).
    Thanks again

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Well, a fine n ansum time was had. Was great to catch up with old friends and meet new folks. Yes it was pretty cold, but nothing to complain about really... the fire was roaring in the evening and I was toasty snug in my hammock. Was great to meet the ancient and mystical legend that is Fish Massive thanks to all for a great weekend. Here's a few of my pics, but I know that Ash n Fish have got loadsa gooduns.

Rabbit n woodpigeon stoo! by roadkillphil, on Flickr

Chestnuts by roadkillphil, on Flickr

Ashley's bowdrill demo by roadkillphil, on Flickr

Cheers

Phil
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace