Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice om making a hammock

Advice om making a hammock

I am playing with the idea of making a hammock for the winter. It would not need a mozzie net.

I can't afford the likes of parachute silk, so it will have to be some cheap reinforced plastic tarp. But I have no idea what size I would need. I.e what minimum length and widt should the finished product have for a 5.9" bloke have for me to be comfortable in it?

The plan is to lay the tarp double, whip the ends together with paracord, and improvise a suspension system. I wan't to double it in the hope of getting a sleeping pad sandwiched between thelayers if at all practiclal.

I have seen some youtube vids on the actual production of one so have an idea how to do it, just need some measurements.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I've been having similar thoughts and found this...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1676

If you click on the link See also TeeDee's multi-volume article "My Bridge Hammock System" published in December 2007. there is even more detail. Way beyond my ability.
    Mark 8:36

I tried a Hammock using a plastic tarp. I got very sweaty. I'd try some other more "breathable" material if you can.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    I tried a Hammock using a plastic tarp. I got very sweaty. I'd try some other more "breathable" material if you can.
    Since this is for cold weather, I'd be inside a winter rated sleeping bag, that would be inside a bivvi bag to keep the sleeping bag dry from snow blowing in....so I think there won't be much
    of a sweat problem...the problem would be snow blowing into it and melting, as well as avoiding bringing in snow from clothes etc...
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Sounds like a great wee project Rune Im lookin forward to seeing what ye come up with

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Take a look at this easy hammock knot, I have used it on a standard cotton bed sheet, sheet was still servicable afterwards too, maybe of some use and is very easy to do..
    Youtube link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

I was thinking more like this:

(Roald Amundsen)

Well, the plans are firming up....just ordered some bit's and pieces to make this thing that is a little hard to come by in my home town...so that will come from your little island out there cross the seas :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Hi Rune

Something you really should consider mate is an Underquilt. Even if homemade they will improve your cold weather comfort imeasurably.

People spend a lot of time trying all sorts of other ways to avoid having one but in the end you just can't beat them.

They are worth their weight in Gold and you can do away with some of the other stuff in your hammock.

Look forward to seeing you brave the Norwegian winter mate.

ATB TC
    Remember LNT

Quote Originally Posted by TreeCamper View Post
    Hi Rune

Something you really should consider mate is an Underquilt. Even if homemade they will improve your cold weather comfort imeasurably.

People spend a lot of time trying all sorts of other ways to avoid having one but in the end you just can't beat them.

They are worth their weight in Gold and you can do away with some of the other stuff in your hammock.

Look forward to seeing you brave the Norwegian winter mate.

ATB TC
    Allready got that sorted. Got no less than 4 sleeping bags tucked away in the shed that are completely useless as sleeping bags. But would do okay as under quilts.

I worry more about where to find a winter sleeping bag I can afford that will be warm enough. But I got time. Ain't gonna do any snow camping until late february, or even march. In just a month or so, we'll have only a couple of hours of twilight mid day, and the sun won't rise at all for close to 2 months.

But I will get this project done before the snows come I hope. And that could be any day now. So I hope I get to test hang this before that. I only have the weekends now. It was easier to get time to get out in the summer with 24/7 daylight....

Mountains of south Norway today...

http://static.vg.no/uploaded/image/b...780547_895.jpg
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 09-10-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    (Roald Amundsen)