Thread: CHEAP BUDGET Bushcraft Axe / Hatchet

CHEAP BUDGET Bushcraft Axe / Hatchet

Hello Guys,

I have recently purchased some cheap axes, as I simply can not afford to splash out on a gransfors.

I have done a video on it, which is currently publishing from movie maker.

Just wondering if any of you had experiences with cheap axes? Good, bad, ugly?

Kieran

My only bad experience was with an axe I bought at a car boot sale. The handle had rotted just below the head at the shoulder and it snapped off during use. Fortunately nobody was injured.

Something to watch out for as well is something another of my car boot sale axes has, and that's a split back. This means the wedge can't be driven too tightly into the eye or the split in the back of the head just opens up. But it's still one of my favourite axes - weight and size seem perfect.

Bacho axes, good and cheap and a perfect choice for a bit of adaptation.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    My only bad experience was with an axe I bought at a car boot sale. The handle had rotted just below the head at the shoulder and it snapped off during use. Fortunately nobody was injured.

Something to watch out for as well is something another of my car boot sale axes has, and that's a split back. This means the wedge can't be driven too tightly into the eye or the split in the back of the head just opens up. But it's still one of my favourite axes - weight and size seem perfect.
    Have you made a new handle for it Bernie..?

Kieran.. Keep an eye open for old Kent pattern axes in 2nd hand shops or car boot sales. They are superb British made axe heads.
    Last edited by JonnyP; 09-10-2012 at 08:22 AM.