Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share your current camping/hiking/bushcraft kit and its weight

Not got a clue, what it weighs, but I was surprised at how easily I hauled it really.

Bergan:
    hammock with all the ropage
    Bivvi bag
    Sleeping bag
    Sleeping bag II as an under quilt
    Foam mat
    Self inflating mat
    Cook kit: Casserole + frying pan + whats in my Molle bag at all times + butane stove
    food
    1 litre of water in Nalgene bottle
    Dry wool socks
    dry pull over (fleece or wool)
    t-shirt
    Water proofs
    long undies
    Deflatable 10 litre water container (empty)

Molle bag contains:
    Solo cook kit with trangia stove, meths, wind screen, tea, instant soup, wash up sponge
    Fire kettle
    16 oz camelbak bottle filled with apple juice (i need the extra energy boost)
    First aid kit
    S.H.T.F fire kit
    Map and compass
    Sitting pad
    Leuku knife
    Leatherman supertool 300
    Wool hat and gloves
    Head light
    hand flash light
    A book

On belt:
    Knife and lmf fire steel
    Flint and steel fire kit with tinder, extra flint and/or quartz, and char cloth + means to make more char cloth

In pocket:
    Mobile phone, whistle, lighter(in zip lock bag), birch bark tinder I may pick on the way.

Around neck: Neck knife and LMF fire steel
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 30-09-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

You gotta tell us what that lot weighs Rune.
    How far was the yomp to the site?
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

I guess you only take one at a time fishy? burgen set up is very close to what i carry - extra sleeping bag and foam mat

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post

You gotta tell us what that lot weighs Rune.
    How far was the yomp to the site?
    Just a kilometer up the hill from my house. And I ain't packing it again just to find out. :-)
    But really it did not feel very heavy. Had it not been straight up, even I could have tabbed that load for miles, i I got to choose the speed of march.

Also I packed for a comfortable sleep, not for roughing it.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

And I ain't packing it again just to find out. :-)
    Ha!
    What if the wife was to give you an unexpected pass!? It should be packed and ready for immediate deployment. "Break Glass" style!
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post
    Ha!
    What if the wife was to give you an unexpected pass!? It should be packed and ready for immediate deployment. "Break Glass" style!
    The molle bag and nalgene bag is always packed. Alll I have to do is fill them with water and I am off.
    The rest need sto be unpacked as they need to be stored that way, or they will not work very well. Sleeping bags gets taken out and hanged, self inflatable mat stored rolled out
    under our bed etc.

Allso I do not like to stress. I enjoy packing up, and make sure everything is to order before I go out...which reminds me I have forgotten to oil the hatchet after last time out...
    (Roald Amundsen)

My first wild camping trip last week was a bit of a let down because of the weight of my pack. I'm not exactly sure how heavy it was but it felt way to heavy for me, probably because I'm out of shape at the moment.

The pack I used was the Vango Pumori 60+10 which is 2.55kg by itself, then there was my sleeping bag which is the Vango Nitestar which is 1.6kg, My tent Wild Country Zephyros 1 which is 1.5kg, Trangia 27-6 1kg, then there was things like 2ltr platypus, extra clothes food, tools, personal items, power pack for phone, water proofs and other things. I'm not sure of total weight yet but the trail was up hill all the way so it felt like I had a elephant on my back.

I'm planning on getting a smaller/lighter pack like a Osprey exos, a lighter sleeping bag like down based one by Rab, maybe a smaller/lighter cook kit and try and reduce size/weight where I can so I can enjoy the walk more in future. I'll definitely keep the Trangia set though as its just awesome, will probably keep it for when a friend comes and can share the pack weight.

Quote Originally Posted by ADz_1983 View Post
    My first wild camping trip last week was a bit of a let down because of the weight of my pack. I'm not exactly sure how heavy it was but it felt way to heavy for me, probably because I'm out of shape at the moment.

The pack I used was the Vango Pumori 60+10 which is 2.55kg by itself, then there was my sleeping bag which is the Vango Nitestar which is 1.6kg, My tent Wild Country Zephyros 1 which is 1.5kg, Trangia 27-6 1kg, then there was things like 2ltr platypus, extra clothes food, tools, personal items, power pack for phone, water proofs and other things. I'm not sure of total weight yet but the trail was up hill all the way so it felt like I had a elephant on my back.

I'm planning on getting a smaller/lighter pack like a Osprey exos, a lighter sleeping bag like down based one by Rab, maybe a smaller/lighter cook kit and try and reduce size/weight where I can so I can enjoy the walk more in future. I'll definitely keep the Trangia set though as its just awesome, will probably keep it for when a friend comes and can share the pack weight.
    Are you sure you got your pack packed correctly and harness adjusted right?
    Else, up hill is a struggle in any case, specially if you are out of shape. That is bitter experience speaking :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Are you sure you got your pack packed correctly and harness adjusted right?
    Else, up hill is a struggle in any case, specially if you are out of shape. That is bitter experience speaking :-)
    Yeah it was packed correctly. Not 100% sure on if I had it adjusted right but I think so as it felt comfortable at first, weight seemed to be on hips but just seemed too much after a while.

I think I'm going to try and weigh it in parts and see what it totals to get a better idea. However I still think I want to reduce size of pack/weight etc as it would just make the trip more enjoyable either way.

Quote Originally Posted by ADz_1983 View Post
    Yeah it was packed correctly. Not 100% sure on if I had it adjusted right but I think so as it felt comfortable at first, weight seemed to be on hips but just seemed too much after a while.

I think I'm going to try and weigh it in parts and see what it totals to get a better idea. However I still think I want to reduce size of pack/weight etc as it would just make the trip more enjoyable either way.
    Whenever I do that I just fill up with other things that are "nice to have"....
    (Roald Amundsen)